Decision Maker: Council, Strategy and Resources Committee
Decision status: Recommendations approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To update the Council's
Councillor Ruth Dombey, Chair of the Strategy & Resources Committee, formally moved the adoption of the minute, which following debate, was put to the vote and carried.
Note: Members of the opposition group, Councillors Crowley, Garratt, Hicks, Shields, Pascoe, McManus, Ramsey and Butt, abstained on recommendation 2.10.
1. Article 8 of the Council’s Constitution - Regulatory Committees and Other Bodies be amended to remove reference to the Appeals Committee and note that this function will be carried out by officers following the Annual Council Meeting in May.
2. Authority be delegated to the Strategic Director - Resources to consult with the trade unions and determine a new employee appeals process to be conducted by officers.
3. An Audit and Governance Committee be appointed to encompass the functions currently carried out by the Audit Committee and the Standards Committee with additional responsibilities for HR matters as set out in paragraphs 4.1-4.10, effective following the Annual Council Meeting in May.
4. The purpose and functions of the Audit and Governance Committee be approved for inclusion in Article 8 of the Council’s Constitution, as set out at Appendix A.
5. Amendment of Article 9 of the Council’s Constitution - Standards Committee be approved to note that the responsibilities for the Code of Conduct and Standards Regime will be delegated to the Governance and Audit Committee.
6. Authority be delegated to the Monitoring Officer to consider and determine requests to grant dispensations to members with a Disclosable Pecuniary or ‘other’ interest to allow them to attend meetings from which they would otherwise be excluded in accordance with provisions of the Localism Act.
7. The Members’ Allowance Scheme be updated to delete the Appeals and Audit Committee Chair Special Responsibility Allowances (SRA) and create SRAs for the Chair of the Audit and Governance Committee at the same level as the Audit Committee Chair and the Vice Chair of the Audit and Governance Committee at the same level as the Pension Committee Chair.
8. The Leader of the Council be authorised to write to the outgoing Independent Chair and Independent Members of the Standards Committee to thank them on behalf of the Council for their years of voluntary public service in fairly and impartially overseeing standards of behaviour in the Council.
9. The deletion of Section 2, Article 7, Paragraphs 7.12 to 7.14 inclusive be approved, relating to the Adult Social Services and Health Committee and the Children, Family and Education Committee, replacing with the purpose and functions of a new People Committee (as outlined in Appendix B).
10. Council approve the changes to standing orders in relation to council questions as outlined in paragraphs 4.16 to 4.20 of the report.
11. Authority be delegated to the Monitoring Officer to make any consequential amendments to the Council’s Constitution arising from these recommendations.
Publication date: 20/02/2018
Date of decision: 29/01/2018
Decided at meeting: 29/01/2018 - Council