Decision Maker: Housing, Economy and Business Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
Draft for approval for consultation
Duncan Clarke, Strategic Planning Manager, presented the report, accompanied by Andy Webber, Head of Development Management and Strategic Planning. Members’ attention was drawn to:
· Two updated maps (pages 25 and 42 of the agenda pack), of which a hard copy had been provided for members.
· A correction to Guideline 7 - missing last line to read “account historic photography.”
Following the presentation, the Chair invited contributions from Councillor Steve Penneck as Lead Member for Heritage and Councillor David Bartolucci (committee member) as ward councillor for Sutton Central.
In debate, Members questioned whether additional powers would be granted for the maintenance of existing heritage assets. In response, the Head of Development Management and Strategic Planning explained the status of a Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) as well as powers under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990. Further discussion ensued as to how balance may be achieved between the brand identity of retailers and heritage requirements.
It was also suggested by Members that:
· Displays be erected in the town centre on aspects of its heritage, to inform and educate residents on local history.
· Consultation could be extended to canvas opinion beyond the Sutton Local Committee area as residents from across the borough visit the town centre.
· Certain buildings be promoted as examples of what can be achieved to protect heritage and appropriate lighting be used to highlight this.
The Chair requested that a list of organisations contacted as part of the consultation, be circulated among committee members (subject to GDPR compliance).
RESOLVED: that the Draft Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan be approved for consultation.
Report author: Simon Latham
Publication date: 26/03/2019
Date of decision: 19/03/2019
Decided at meeting: 19/03/2019 - Housing, Economy and Business Committee