Decision Maker: Housing, Economy and Business Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To seek Member approval for proposed levels of
rent and other charges for 2019/20
Trevor Hart, Housing Strategy and Commissioning Manager, presented the report.
Following the presentation, Members enquired as to whether a further breakdown of costs could be provided by Sutton Housing Partnership, which the Housing Strategy and Commissioning Manager would seek to share.
Members particularly discussed the Independent Living Service, increases in energy supplier costs and the size of garages compared to the ‘modern vehicle’ (meaning they are often used for storage rather than parking). Following a question on water meters, the Assistant Director - Housing committed to confirm current legal requirements to members.
Finally, the chair raised the issue of ‘53 Mondays’ in the coming year (as per Paragraph 4.4) and the Deputy Assistant Director - Resources (Business Services) updated the committee that mitigatory options were being explored, should the national provision not change. The Deputy Assistant Director committed to send a briefing to members once further information was known.
1. Council dwelling rents be decreased by 1%, in line with the requirements of the Welfare Reform and Work Act 2016.
2. Garage rents be increased by £1 pw to £13.50 pw and parking space rents by 50p pw to £3.35 pw.
3. Charges for heating and hot water be increased by 5%, to reflect anticipated future costs of supply.
4. Charges for estate services be increased by a maximum of 2.4% (CPI at September 2018) per property until they have reached an amount at which full cost recovery is achieved.
5. The charge for the Independent Living Service be maintained at £14.60 pw.
6. Rents be increased for specialist HRA properties as proposed in paragraph 4.13;
7. Charges for the non-HRA dwellings be increased as proposed in paragraph 4.14;
8. It be recommended to the Carshalton Coronation Commemoration Trust that the rents of the properties leased to it are reduced by 1% in line with the reduction for council housing rents.
9. Charges for the pitches at The Pastures Traveller site be decreased by 1.02% in order to continue their relationship with council rents locally.
10.Charges for ancillary services provided to occupants of non-HRA temporary accommodation be increased to the amounts as set out in the table under paragraph 4.18.
Under Standing Order 15.4, Councillor Nick Mattey requested that his abstention from the vote, with regards to recommendation 2.3, be recorded in the minutes.
Report author: Trevor Hart
Publication date: 19/02/2019
Date of decision: 29/01/2019
Decided at meeting: 29/01/2019 - Housing, Economy and Business Committee