Erection of a part one part two storey side extension, a single storey rear extension; and alterations to roof line and provision of extended dormer extension at rear and side.
The Committee considered a report on the above application for the erection of a part one part two storey side extension, a single storey rear extension; and alterations to roof line and provision of extended dormer extension at rear and side.
The application had been de-delegated by Councillor Simon Wales.
Gavin Hyde-Blake, an objector, and Councillor Simon Wales, a ward Councillor, addressed the meeting under Standing Order 31, and the applicant replied.
The principal issues raised by Gavin Hyde-Blake were:-
· The back extension would block natural light from his neighbouring property.
· To build the back extension, they would need to dig over the boundary in order to dig a trench for the foundations.
· He also confirmed that he had been discussing his issues with the applicant and that the applicant had indicated that certain adaptations would be made to the application.
The principal issues raised by Ali Liaquat, the applicant, and Paul Lewis, the agent were:-
· Although the back extension is a permitted development, the applicant had offered to change the roof to an apex to reduce the obstruction to natural light for his neighbour.
· He had also offered to move the boundary wall further into his own property to prevent the need to dig on his neighbour’s land and maintain a good neighbourly relationship.
Officers and Councillors noted that the back extension does not require planning permission because it is a permitted development at its current measurements, and therefore a decision to refuse this application would not affect the applicant’s right to build the back extension.
Officers and Councillors also noted that the concerns raised about digging for the foundations is not a planning matter, as boundaries are a civil matter and concerns about digging foundations would be the responsibility of Building Control.
The committee noted that the applicant had offered to have further discussions with the objector about the design, and expressed the hope that these would be fruitful.
A poll vote on the officers’ recommendation to grant permission was held in accordance with Standing Order 31.4, when there voted:
To grant (8) Councillors Richard Clifton, Samantha Bourne, Kevin Burke, Margaret Court, Patrick McManus, Hamish Pollock, Jason Reynolds and Graham Whitham
Councillor Vincent Galligan
RESOLVED: That planning permission be granted for application No. B2015/73059/HHA, subject to the conditions, reasons and informatives set out in the Appendix to these Minutes.