Contact: Alexa Coates, Head of Committee and Management Support Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email: email@example.com
To confirm as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 2 March 2020.
The minutes of the meeting held on 2 March 2020 were approved as a correct record.
The Mayor welcomed everyone to the meeting.
He commended the incredible work of Council staff, partners in the NHS and voluntary sector, and all key workers who were supporting the community in this challenging time.
A minute silence was observed for those public servants who have lost their lives as a result of the COVID-19 crisis, including Herb Chinzou, the Deputy Manager of the Social Inclusion Team. The Mayor had also been informed that former Councillors Pam Picknett and Arnold Shaw had sadly passed away since the last Council meeting.
The Mayor allowed the Leader of the Council and the Leader of the majority opposition group to address the meeting.
The Mayor thanked Officers, the Deputy Mayor and Mayoress and consorts for their support during his terms of office. He had raised over £ 42,547 for Sutton Vision and Oaks Way Senior Centre.
Declarations of Interest
Councillors to declare any personal or prejudicial interests that they have on matters to be discussed at this evening’s Council meeting.
There were no declarations of interest.
Election of Mayor for Municipal Year 2020/21
To elect the Worshipful the Mayor of the London Borough of Sutton for the municipal year 2020/21.
The Mayor called for nominations for the office of Mayor for the ensuing year.
Councillor Richard Clifton proposed Councillor Trish Fivey, Councillor Annie
Moral seconded the nomination.
There being no further nominations, the motion was put to the vote and carried.
That Councillor Trish Fivey be duly elected as Mayor of the London Borough of Sutton for the municipal year 2020/21.
The Mayor (Councillor Trish Fivey) in the chair.
The Mayor made the declaration of acceptance of office.
The Mayor returned thanks for her election. During her speech she announced that her charities were Sutton Mental Health Foundation and Home Start.
The Mayor appointed Councillor Annie Moral as her Deputy during her term of office.
To note the membership of political groups and their positions.
The Mayor asked members to receive the report.
That the report be noted.
To establish committees and agree membership.
The report was put to the vote and carried.
1. That the establishment of Standing Committees, Scrutiny Committees, Regulatory Committee, Other Bodies, and Local Committees for the municipal year 2020-21 as set out at paragraphs 4.5-4.10 of the report be approved;
2. That the allocation of seats as set out at paragraph 4.13 of the report be approved;
3. That the nominations to the LGA Annual General Assembly and allocation of votes as set out in paragraph 4.12 of the report be agreed;
4. That the appointment of chairs and vice chairs and members of committees as set out in Appendix A to the report be agreed;
5. That it be noted that the Leader has appointed two Deputies Leaders and that the amendments to the Members’ Allowance Scheme as set out in paragraph 4.14 of the report be agreed;
6. That the interim decision making arrangements, until 1 October, as set out at paragraph 4.19 of the report be agreed;
7. That authority be delegated to the Chief Executive, in consultation with the Leader of the Council and the Leader of the Opposition, to revoke (thereby returning to established structures) or extend the interim decision-making arrangements;
8. That the schedule of meetings set out as Appendix B to the report be agreed
9. That the Decision Continuity Procedures (Appendix C) be agreed and the Constitution amended to include these as Article 14;
10.That the remote meeting procedures set out at Appendix D to the report be agreed;
11.That it be agreed where there are any outstanding places the relevant political group may give written notice to the Monitoring Officer of their appointments 10 clear days before the relevant committee is due to meet;
12.That it be agreed that the political groups may notify the Monitoring Officer of any in-year changes to committee membership by giving written notice 10 clear days before the relevant committee is due to meet; and
13.That authority be delegated to the Monitoring Officer to make any consequential changes to the constitution arising out of this report, such as changes to committee names, size, procedures, and removal of reference to committees not established.