Agenda and draft minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 13th June, 2019 7.00 pm, MOVED

Venue: Civic Offices - St Nicholas Way, Sutton, SM1 1EA

Contact: Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 5010 | Email:  chantelle.swaby@sutton.gov.uk  Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Note: This meeting was moved from the 27 June 2019. 

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed all those present.

2.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Holly Ramsey and Councillor Neil Garratt.

3.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made.

4.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 104 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 4 April 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 4 April 2018 were agreed and signed as an accurate record.

5.

Appointment of New Community Representative

The committee were advised that an application for the appointment of a new Community Representative had been received.

 

It was recommended that the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee appoint Louisa Sheridan-Peel as Community Representative for Westmoreland Orbit Residents Association with Lance Sheridan as substitute

 

 

Minutes:

The committee were advised that an application for the appointment of a new Community Representative had been received.

RESOLVED: that 

  1. Louisa Sheridan-Peel be appointed to represent  Westmoreland Orbit Residents Association with Lance Sheridan as substitute on the Sutton South Cheam and Belmont Local Committee.



6.

Order of items

Minutes:

Order of items The Chair announced that the public questions item would be taken ahead of the update from the safer neighbourhood team.

7.

Public Question time

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative Timing: 15 minutes.

 

Minutes:

 

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions. Those who had submitted and received a response to a question ahead of the meeting (published as an addendum to the agenda) were invited to ask a supplementary question.

Ian Berry had provided a number of questions in advance of the meeting and the Chair suggested that a meeting with the Head of Parks be arranged to understand the issues brought forward and to reach resolutions.  Councillor Colborn agreed to provide details of the outstanding questions.

Mr Andrew Behan asked a written question regarding height restriction signs on bridges which was responded to ahead of the meeting. He asked a supplementary question regarding signs that are missing within the borough. 

Councillor Shields responded that the policy standards and guidance for signage will be taken as a separate agenda item at the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee on 20 June. In his second question Mr Behan asked if there a way of seeing any updates regarding reported issues via the report it website. 

Matt Clubb, Assistant Director Environment and Community Safety, responded that the “CAS” reference number can be added into the website and the system will confirm the status of the response.

 

8.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team pdf icon PDF 58 KB

An update on the three ward priorities in the area and community safety issues.

Minutes:

Sergeant  Nick Miles was unable to attend he provided an update which the Chair summarised.   This was published with the agenda.

 

9.

Local Implementation Plan (LIP) pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Lynn Robinson, Senior Highways Engineer to provide the committee with the most recent LIP schemes being proposed in 2020/21.

 

Indicative Timing: 20 minutes.

 

Minutes:

Lynn Robinson, Senior Engineer, provided the Committee with the most recent LIP schemes being proposed in 2020/21, for inclusion in the bid to Transport for London (TfL) in the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Area.

 

She outlined the schemes detailed within the report. Scheme 1, Brighton Road / Langley Park Road (South Sutton) area – the scheme was providing measures to encourage more people to walk, cycle and use public transport for local journeys such as speed reduction measures and improved crossing facilities.  There was £50K to look at that this year and it was highlighted that following the consultation further funding for next year would be required to complete the scheme.

 

Scheme 2 Cheam Railway Station area – second year of a two year scheme.  The proposed scheme provides improved pedestrian and cycle routes to the station, access in Station Way and Upper Mulgrave Road. There was £20k this year to start investigation works and consultation and the committee were advised that further funding would be required next year to implement the measures.

 

Members sought clarification on  the scope of the study in Scheme 1, and if consideration was being given to closing roads. It was confirm this could be considered. Members also queried  if TFL were being consulted regarding Bus transport. The officer confirmed that local issues around bus stops and accessibility could be considered using this LIP funding and discussions are ongoing with TFL to review the services across the borough.

 

In debate Members spoke of sharing feedback on suggested improvements to Stations in particular Belmont station, and if Members of the public who use the station could provide input on what they would like to be done to improve it.  It was suggested that the feedback from Mr Peter Mattey from the Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association should be shared with the Senior Engineer for information. 

 

RESOLVED that:

It be agreed that the proposed schemes, listed in the report in table in paragraph 4.7 be included in the submission to TfL in November 2019 for the 2020/21 programme.

 

10.

Street Cleansing Presentation pdf icon PDF 6 MB

A presentation on future service standards of street cleaning in Sutton

 

Indicative Timing: 15 minutes.

 

Minutes:

A presentation was provided by Andrew Chandler, Head of Waste and Streets to provide an update on how the contract on Street cleaning is performing. 

The Chair suggested that if individual Councillors are aware of issues reported by their residents which are not resolved they should please advise the Head of Waste and Streets accordingly so these can be investigated outside this meeting. 

Members queried the timeframes of inspections and frequency of street cleansing

Andrew Chandler advised that commercial negotiations with the service provider were ongoing and there could be financial penalties if cleaning is not performed to the required standard. 

The Chair commented that based on the presentation provided that 325 Streets were below the required grade, he suggested that if the contractor is doing well he would expect the number of reported issues to reduce. 

Mr Percy asked if this agenda item could come back to committee to review progress.  The Chair suggested this should come back post January2020 so a comparison of the number of complaints could be made.

 

11.

Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan pdf icon PDF 497 KB

Strategic Planning Manager, Duncan Clarke, to lead engagement session on input into the plan

 

Indicative Timing: 30 minutes.

 

Minutes:

The Strategic Planning Manager, Duncan Clarke provided a presentation to seek residents views on the Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area  Character Appraisal and Management Plan.  

In discussion members and officers drew attention to the consultation which will close on 19 July, and asked that residents please given consideration to this and respond to the consultation to have their views taken into consideration.

 

12.

Order of Items

Minutes:

The Chair Announced that agenda item 12, Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants, 13 Urgent items and 14 date of next meeting would be heard ahead of the Parking Strategy item.

13.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 119 KB

Locality Lead Officer, Chantelle Swaby, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant Schemes agreed through delegated decision.

 

Indicative Timing: 5 minutes.

 

Minutes:

Locality Lead Officer, Chantelle Swaby, delivered a report to the committee on the Public Realm budget and advised Members of new Neighbourhood Grants schemes agreed through delegated decision.  The summary of neighbourhood grants and events fees and charges grants approved were highlighted to the committee.

Councillor Clifton asked if project 18/19.1 regarding replacement of trees had been completed and asked if the completed schemes should be added into the report for completeness. The chair requested that a revised list of the completed schemes please be circulated to all Committee Members.

 

14.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

The Chair must approve the reason for urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

15.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee will take place on 19 September 2019 at 7 pm.

Minutes:

 

The next meeting will take place on 19 September 2019 at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church,  Banstead Road, Sutton, Carshalton SM5 3NL.

The meeting was adjourned at 8.12 pm at the request of the Chair so that the parking item did not start until after 8.15pm.

The meeting was re-convened at 8.18pm

 

16.

Parking Strategy

Mark Johnson, Senior Highways officer, to provide the committee with an update on the Parking strategy for the following roads in the local area:

 

Sutton South

Chalgrove Road Sutton South

Downside Road Sutton South and opposite junction with Upland Road.

Farm Close Sutton South

Farm Road Sutton South

Kayemoor Road Sutton South

Mayfield Road Sutton South

Prior Avenue Sutton South

The Ridgway Sutton South

Upland Road Sutton South

Willis Avenue Sutton South


Belmont

Egmont Road Belmont

Filey Close Belmont

Langley Park Road Belmont
Devonshire Road Sutton South, Belmont at southern end

 

 

Indicative Timing: 1 hour.

 

Minutes:

 

Mark Johnson, Senior Highways officer and Ian Price Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning Highway and Transport, provided an update to the Committee on the Parking Strategy in the local area. 

The officers outlined the results from the stage 1 consultation and confirmed the overall response rate and how that information was used to draw up proposals for stage 2, of the consultation.  They highlighted that the responses were very varied. The team had  taken time to review the results. They advised the committee that the designs have been uploaded onto the councils website and there is a report going to Environment & Neighbourhood  Committee on 20 June where this will be discussed. 

The Parking Programme Manager explained the proposals for geographical area one. In particular he drew the committee's attention to the proposal for a PPA Monday to Friday 9am to 11am and highlighted how this differs from a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ). The reason for this proposed scheme was to deter commuter parking. 

 

Engagement events were advertised as part of the presentation and residents were invited to attend in particular if they have any specific questions. 

 

The Chair invited questions. The main theme of the questions was to seek clarity on how much consultation had taken place and the purpose of the Parking strategy for example if it was the Council's intention to make curb space chargeable. 

 

The officers responded accordingly and in particular Mr Ian Price advised the purpose of the consultation was to look at what are the most appropriate parking schemes. He outlined the consultation process used, the engagement that had taken place, and he pointed out that a report was prepared for scrutiny committee to look at the consultation process and learn the lessons from that.

 

Ms Ackland spoke of the proposed scheme for the St Helier local committee area and expressed her concern regarding engagement with residents

 

Councillor Coburn also highlighted that he was aware that none of the cheam traders had been contacted to get their views.  He expressed concern that parking proposals may impact local businesses.  Mr Price offered to pick this up to seek the views of the traders. 

 

In debate Members spoke about if residents understood what the impact of the proposed scheme would mean. Councillor Hicks pointed out  for example that having marked bays could result in less parking spaces.  It was acknowledged that in some locations there was not sufficient space for residents and commuters and the proposed schemes were put forward to better manage the street space for residents that live on that street

 

Mr Percy from Highfields resident association asked what is the cost of the parking permit for residents and how much is the parking charge for people within the CPZ -The Chair requested that this information be provided post this meeting. 

 

A local resident asked if carers would get free parking. It was confirmed that there are carer permits within CPZs. 

 

Meeting ended at 9.25.