Agenda and draft minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 5th March, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: Russettings Register Office, 25 Worcester Road, Sutton SM2 6PR

Contact: Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 6020 | Email:  paul.brockwell@sutton.gov.uk  Cassie Fraser-Shanley, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

31.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Tony Shields, welcomed those present.

Congratulations were given to Councillor Colburn for being elected as the new Member of Parliament for Carshalton and Wallington.

32.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Fivey and Councillor Hicks.

Apologies were also received by Louise Sheridan-Peel, Westmoreland Orbit Resident Association and Graham Jones, CHAPRA.

33.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

34.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 82 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 19 September 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 19 September 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

35.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

Sergeant Nicholas Miles to provide the committee with an update on the Local priorities.

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Sergeant Nicholas Miles presented the update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, raised concerns around the use of Nextdoor due to the availability of users’ addresses and the lack of recommendations or accreditations for businesses advertising on the platform. The Sergeant advised the resident that the Safer Neighbourhood Team use Nextdoor to target residents as they do not want to put messages out on wider social media which may be read by people who want to commit a crime. The Chair recommended that the Sergeant liaise with Mr Mattey on putting guidance out to users about using the site safely.

 

Tim Rumble, Cheam Traders, asked why non-residential burglaries were not classed as a local priority. The Sergeant explained that non-residential burglaries are not taken lightly and the current operations are targeting mainly residential areas. Mr Rumble invited the Sergeant to visit businesses in Cheam where burglaries are impacting business owner’s livelihoods.

 

There was further discussion around the proposed merger of the Safer Neighbourhood Ward Panels.

36.

Public questions

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Beverly Bridgen, Shanklin Residents Association, asked what the Council was doing to ensure that the drains were kept operational in light of the recent wet weather. Matt Clubb, Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety, responded that the Council has a programme for clearing gullies and there are sometimes capacity issues, during spates of severe weather. The team monitor the weather forecasts and ensure that priority areas, known for flooding, are cleared.

 

John Luckett, a resident, asked about the cause of frequent flooding around Casa Nostra. The Chair responded that this was caused by a blocked feeder pipe to the main sewer which was last cleared 10 months ago. He requested that the Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety investigate this further.

 

John Luckett also asked why the crossing outside of Sutton station was taken away, in light of the two deaths and life-threatening accident at the now “informal crossing”. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety agreed to look into accident statistics and bring an update to the next meeting. Additionally, he agreed to put Mr Luckett in contact with colleagues in the Highways department.

 

John Luckett asked why the Council chooses to wait until all the leaves are off the trees before clearing them. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety explained that there is a dedicated team which works over a 10 week period to clear the leaves. The team waits until the majority of leaves have fallen so they are able to completely clear an area at once. Every year the leaf fall is different, depending on the climate and this year, due to the wet and windy weather, the leaves have degraded quicker which has caused issues with clearing.

 

Keith Percy, Highfields Residents' Association, asked what the cost of a Traffic Management Order would be to move all the cars in an area in order to clear leaf sludge completely. Ian Price, Team Leader - Strategy & Commissioning, said that a borough-wide TMO would cost between £2-2.5k, however enforcements would not be included in this cost.

 

Councillor Pascoe asked why the Communications Team do not pick up on residents’ complaints on social media. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety responded that the Council’s ReportIt function is the quickest way to report any complaints. Social media reports would have to be double handled as the report would have to be then put into ReportIt, however the incoming digital platform will make it easier to report.

 

Councillor Pascoe also asked why the Council do not use Fix My Street. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety explained that this was explored in the past but it is not used at present.

 

Councillor Ramsey asked if residents’ complaints were being ignored on social media. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety responded that the best way to report anything is through the Council’s ReportIt function. 

 

Claudia Money, CHAPRA, has recently raised a complaint with Transport for London about road  ...  view the full minutes text for item 36.

37.

Parking Strategy Update

Project Manager Mark Johnson to provide a verbal update on the current stage of the Parking Strategy within the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont area.

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Mark Johnson, Parking Programme Manager, and Ian Price, Team Leader - Strategy & Commissioning, presented the update.

 

It was confirmed that parking proposals will now proceed in Geographical Area 1 from July and letters will be sent out to residents with the confirmation of dates. In Geographical Area 2, the consultation finished on 24 February and it is expected for Councillors to have a briefing in the second week of April.

 

Councillors asked the officers questions around the alteration to implemented schemes and who was responsible for their authorisation. It was confirmed that a number of issues have been reported back in regards to recently implemented schemes, and authorisation for improvements are delegated to officers in line with original recommendations of the parking strategy approved in 2016 and in consultation with Councillor Abellan, Chair of the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee.

 

Councillors also asked for clarification on the approach which will be taken for the strategy and raised concerns about the impact of a bigger scheme in Cheam. Officers confirmed that they were taking a bigger area, as opposed to a road-by-road, approach as this is the better option from a parking management perspective and the strategy aims to move away from the piecemeal approach which had been typically used.

 

Jan Heely, Meadowside Road, raised concerns around the accuracy of consultation results as The Glade was not included in the breakdown of streets but is included in the strategy. Officers agreed to look into this and Councillor Ramsey requested that this be taken into account when the consultation results are analysed.

 

During the discussion, it was also confirmed that the Geographical Area 1 results will be published online and new Permit Parking Areas do not include private roads.

38.

Regulatory Services pdf icon PDF 7 MB

An update on the Trading Standards, Environmental Health and Licensing achievements over the past year.

 

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Minutes:

Kim Stephens, Team Leader - EH Commercial and Trading Standards, presented the update.

 

Claudia Money, CHAPRA, asked the officer if there were plans to promote boarding licenses as a legal requirement and how this would be enforced. The officer agreed to take the residents question back to the Licensing Team.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, asked if anything was being done around cold calling traders, especially as the Borough Safer Sutton Traders service had been discontinued and alternative lists, such as AgeUK, are smaller. The officer explained that the Borough Safer Sutton Traders was discontinued due to a decline in numbers and that AgeUK is recommended due to the vetting process. The resident said that it would be helpful for guidance to be issued by the Council about using national services, such as CheckATrade.

39.

Climate Emergency pdf icon PDF 984 KB

Assistant Director - Environment and Community Safety, Matt Clubb, to update the Local Committee on the Climate Emergency with a brief presentation followed by a breakout session that will seek the views of local residents.

 

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Minutes:

Matt Clubb, Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety, presented the update.

 

There was discussion about the lack of data presented for the Borough’s disposal of waste. The Assistant Director of Environment and Community Safety agreed to look into the source of data related to 2017. 

 

Following the presentation, there was a breakout session.

40.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 109 KB

Locality Lead Officer, Paul Brockwell, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant Schemes agreed through the delegated decision.

 

Indicative time: 15 minutes

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Lead Locality Officer, presented the report.

 

The Chair introduced the Sutton Station Proposed Artwork as a potential new scheme for funding. The proposed artwork would be an image of the historic, Council-owned 144-year steam engine and if agreed, it would be completed by April 2020. The Committee voted unanimously in favour for Officers to proceed with the necessary delegated decision process for the project.

 

The Cheam Traders thanked Councillor Colburn for his help in the installation of a defibrillator in Cheam.

 

Councillor Clifton asked why the tree in Christchurch Park had not been planted and if the motorbike restriction signage in Dorset Road could be enforced. It was confirmed that the Tree Officers had been delayed due to emergency work caused by the recent storms and the new signage could be enforced as it had now changed to a prohibited sign.

41.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Sutton South Cheam and Belmont Local Committee will take place on 11 June 2020 at Location TBC

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting is 11 June 2020.