Agenda and minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 9th June, 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Chiltern Church, Chiltern Road, Sutton

Contact: Aimee Wittams-Smith, Senior Business Support Officer  Tel: 020 8770 4171 | Email:  aimee.wittams-smith@sutton.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor Jane Pascoe.

2.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

3.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 140 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 10 March 2016.

Minutes:

The minutes of the previous meeting held on 10 March 2016 were approved and signed as an accurate record.

4.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

Minutes:

Police Sergeant Anna Smith provided the Committee with a verbal update on current issues, successes and activities within the area. This update included:

 

·         A slight spike in burglaries within the area in recent months, however the team had put measures in place, and had leafleted the area, which has lead to a decrease. PS Anna Smith reminded the committee to keep an eye on their own properties and their neighbours, and that it is always better to check if you are concerned. It was noted that the crime is still comparatively lower than neighbouring wards and boroughs.

·         The police reminded those present to lock their vehicles, and to keep valuables such as sat navs and coinage hidden from view or removed from the vehicle to prevent thefts from motor vehicles.

·         There is currently lots of building work going on in the area, and builders and residents are reminded to not leave tools and deliveries unattended.

·         There have been Crime Prevention Days taking place in Belmont, and there are more to come, as well as police visiting schools to speak to year 5 and 6 children.

·         School parking is being looked at across the borough, and officers are visiting sites and moving on vehicles who are parked incorrectly or inconsiderately. The police are continuing to look at ways to resolve this borough-wide issue.

 

Keith Percy, Highfields Residents’ Association, asked if there is any data showing the number of burglaries at properties with and without burglar alarms. PS Anna Smith answered that she would check if this data was available, as it was dependent on whether residents detailed this when they reported the crime. It was noted that there is a slight delay to the contact from the alarm reaching the police, but that they do act as a visual deterrent.

It was asked if there was anything that could be done regarding a car for sale outside Avenue School which had not moved for several weeks. PS Smith advised they would check the insurance details for the vehicle.

A question was raised in regards to the traffic implications for the proposed new Sutton school. As this proposal is not definite it is not possible to comment as yet.

Councillor Burstow raised a number of issues in Nonsuch Park Gardens and presented photos to the police of the incidents. PS Smith advised that this area comes under the remit of Surrey Council and they will ensure they have the information passed on to them.

 

5.

Sutton Fire Service

Representative from the Fire Service to provide a presentation to the Committee on the fire services which they provide to the public and the Council.

Minutes:

Steve Greene, Borough Commander of Sutton Fire Brigade attended and gave a verbal update. This update included:

 

·         Mr Greene advised that his team are available and accessible, and anyone wanting to contact them could find their details as well as lots of other useful information on the London Fire Brigade website.

·         The Sutton team make 1600 home fire safety visits every year, targeting those more likely to or most vulnerable to experience a fire in their property. The team have signed up with local GPs, Neighbourhood Watch and Social Services amongst others to gather information to help identify those who would benefit most from one of these visits.

·         It was noted that there are over 100 firefighters in the London Borough of Sutton.

 

A question was asked as to where residents can find out the fire regulations for flats, to ascertain if landlords are following requirements. Mr Greene advised that the regulation team can respond and they are available through the website – residents are advised to look at the section on Part B Building Regulations.

 

Mr Greene advised residents could call if they want any information or look on the website for the South-East London area which covers Sutton.

 

A question was raised in regards to recent concerns over flowerpots. Mr Greene advised that there is an issue with the dry peat, and that the pots are also used frequently as ash trays.

 

Mr Greene advised all residents should take care to ensure all escape areas are clear from obstructions.

6.

Public Question Time

An opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda for this meeting. If it is not possible to answer the question at the meeting, a written response will be issued. Please submit your questions to: localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk.

Minutes:

1)    A resident asked where there any plans to change the junction of Mulgrave Road and Brighton Road where turning right into Brighton Road.

 

The Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration advised that there were no plans to make any changes to that junction and the work there was now complete. However the SDEHR also advised that if the imminent Road Safety Audit raises any issues then they will be looked at. It was advised that the CCTV at that junction had been looked at.

 

2)    It was asked if there was any update on the relocation of ICR Entrance in Cotswold Road and the proposed traffic lights.

 

The Chair answered that this is a planning application that has been de-delegated to a hearing.

 

3)    It was asked on behalf of Shanklin Village if there was any update on the yellow lines in Hulverston Close being repainted.

 

The Team Leader of Strategy and Commissioning, Highways and Transport, advised that this was on the list of sites approved on the last round and is currently under investigation. There will consultations to follow. It was expected that this would be begin in approximately August 2016.

 

4)    It was asked if there had been any agreement on the Shanklin Estate between Sutton Housing Partnership (SHP) and Hulverston Close.

 

Councillor David Hicks advised that there is a mix of public highway and private parking which causes issues, and there have been attempts to arrange discussions between SHP and the London Borough of Sutton Highways Department about a joint scheme to provide a comprehensive parking system for the whole estate, but this has been difficult due to staffing changes within the department. This process needed to be restarted. It was noted there are issues with people parking all day for commuting.

 

The SDEHR would arrange for the Chief Executive of SHP to be contacted to arrange for officers to walk-around and assess and suggest resolutions. There would be a response to the September meeting of the Committee.  

 

 

 

 

 

7.

Residents' Survey Results

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to present the results of the recent residents’ survey. The full results can be found at: https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/file/2415/residents_survey_2015

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, presented on the results of the residents survey, the full findings of which are available to view at https://goo.gl/pxcQuH.

 

There were 160 respondents from the Committee Area; 53 from Sutton South and 54 from Cheam and Belmont.

 

It was raised that the parking satisfaction levels appeared to have dropped significantly since the last survey. The LLO advised that these issues are being addressed through the borough-wide parking strategy. It was raised that the data from the previous survey would be provided as a comparator.

 

Councillors and residents requested further information on previous surveys compared to the most recent results, to see how the data had changed over time, and how Sutton compared to local authorities. It was agreed that it would be raised on the agenda for the September meeting of the Committee to discuss the findings in further detail.

 

Keith Percy and Councillor David Hicks requested further details on recycling in regards to what happens to it once it leaves a residents property. The Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration will provide information at the next meeting, or circulate at a later date.

 

Keith Percy requested information in regards to the stock control of soil improver at the Household Re-Use and Recycling Centre on Kimpton Park Way. It was stated that it was not clear when there was a stock available, and when there was not, and could this information be put on the website? The SDEHR will investigate this matter with the contractors who run the site.

 

Peter Geiringer requested that the results of the maps exercise from the previous meeting were also fed back at the next meeting. It was agreed that due to the large response to this activity, an initial response would be available at the next committee, with a more detailed response at a later date.

 

8.

London Cancer Hub

Update from Mary Morrissey, Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration, regarding the London Cancer Hub project.

Minutes:

Mary Morrissey, Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration (SDEHR) gave a brief update on the London Cancer Hub.

 

The SDEHR thanked everyone who had taken part in the 2031 consultation. There had been over 4500 responses, 350 of which related to the London Cancer Hub Development Framework.

 

From those responses, there was strong support for London Cancer Hub Vision, the strategy to increase building heights towards the centre of the site and there were requests to relocate the Henderson Hospital to the site.  

 

Concerns raised included the allotments, and access and transport.

 

In regards to Transport, Transport for London (TFL) are looking at measures to improve access to the site. The current review with TFL on train frequency includes improving train frequency, improving walking and cycle routes into the site, and bus frequency and services.

 

The Development Framework will be revised in light of the consultation responses, and will be considered for endorsement by the Housing, Economy and Business Committee meeting in September 2016.

9.

Local Implementation Plan (LIP) for the 2017/18 budget pdf icon PDF 415 KB

Lynn Robinson, Senior Engineer (Neighbourhood/Corridor), to present a report recommending proposals for the Local Implementation Plan (LIP) budget.

Minutes:

Ian Price, Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning presented a report on Transport for London’s (TfL’s) transport-related programmes for investment.

 

At the time of the report TFL had not issued the usual guidance, nonetheless the Council is required to submit a funding request to TFL.

 

Full details are available in the report, available online.

 

The main streams of funding in the bid are:

 

·         Maintenance

·         Traffic/Road Safety/Signage

·         Local Transport Funding

·         Cycling Major Schemes

Last year Sutton received £1.37m, however it is unlikely to receive this same level of funding this year, and we are working to an indication of approximately 70% of the previous figure.

 

£100,000 has been set aside for local transport projects.

 

Councillor Richard Clifton advised that he hoped that funding would be found for the 20mph zones in Grange Road and Worcester Road as listed.

 

It was raised that there was currently £4000 set aside for Walk to School Week, which the Committee felt was very important, but there could be options to promote this which cost less. It was advised that the funding was for educational material, posters, leaflets etc and the cost of engaging with schools.

 

The Team Leader of Strategy and Commissioning advised that councillors should recommend schemes that were a priority to be focused on.

 

Councillor David Hicks questioned if the work for Station Road Belmont was also covered within the planning applications for construction at the side of the site. The Planning and Highways departments would investigate.

 

The Committee voted and agreed the recommendations.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the Sutton South Cheam and Belmont Local Committee:

 

·         Consider and agree the proposed schemes for this local committee as contained in Appendix A of this report.

·         Recommend that the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee, as the Highways Authority for the London Borough of Sutton, include the list of schemes in Appendix A in its submission to TfL for LIP funding for 2017/18.

10.

Public Realm Projects and Priorities pdf icon PDF 426 KB

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to present a report to outline new public realm schemes for approval, and to update on the progress of current schemes.

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to present a report to outline new public realm schemes for approval, and to update on the progress of current schemes.

 

It was highlighted that following the report the following progress had been made:

 

·         Cheam Recreation Ground Grit Bin – It had been confirmed that the costs would be met through the Winter Maintenance Budget.

·         Christchurch Park, Cumnor Road and Downside Road (Page 32 of the report) had all been completed.

·         Page 35 – Picnic Tables and litter bin in Cheam Recreation Ground have now been installed.

 

The Committee voted and agreed the recommendations contained within the report.

 

RESOLVED:

 

·         Approve the replacement of the main access gate at Belmont Allotments for £1,600 to be funded from Public Realm capital.

 

·         Approve funding of £14,550 to install festive lights across the local committee area (Cheam Village, Upper Mulgrave Rd and Belmont) to be funded by Public Realm capital converted to revenue.

 

·         Approve the recycling of £6,203 Public realm capital and £3,746 direct revenue funding, as detailed in Appendix A, Section 5, back to unallocated balances.

 

·         To note progress on schemes currently being delivered.

 

·         To earmark £3000 for the most economical and best solution for protecting the grounds between the Cheam Bowls Club and the tennis courts from stray balls in Cheam recreation ground

 

·         To approve £2,000 for landscaping (planting) in partnership with cycle path works taking place in Overton Park

 

·         To approve £1,200 in Whitelodge Close and Foxley Court for implementation of double yellow lines

 

 

 

 

11.

Neighbourhood Grants

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to give a presentation on grant applications approved under delegated authority since the last meeting of this Committee.

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer gave an update on grant applications approved under delegated authority since the last meeting of this Committee.

 

RESOLVED: That the committee noted the following:

 

Cheam Croquet & Bowls Club - £1000 received towards a restoration project to their clubhouse. The group received funding to help improve the flooring and exterior decoration of the club as well as kitchen improvements to more effetely and safety use the facilities.

 

Parkside Community Group – Jubilee street party on 12 June.

The group received a grant of £150 towards decorations and event costs.

 

Devon & Meadowside Roads Association - Jubilee street party

on 12 June. The group received a grant towards £582 decorations, entertainment, equipment hire and promotional materials.

12.

Any Urgent Business

brought forward at the discretion of the Chair, who has approved the reason for the urgency.

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

13.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held on 8 September 2016 at Overton Grange School, Stanley Rd, Sutton, SM2 6TQ.

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on Thursday 8 September 2016 at Overton Grange School, Stanley Rd, Sutton SM2 6TQ at 7.00pm.