Agenda and minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 5th January, 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: The Aitken Hall, St Andrews, Northey Avenue, Cheam, SM2 7HF

Contact: Committee Services, tel: 020 8770 4990 Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

85.

Welcome and Introductions

86.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor McManus and community representative Graham Jones.

87.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest

88.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 142 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 8 September 2016.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the previous meeting held on 8 September 2016 be approved as a correct record.

89.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

An update on the three ward priorities in the area and community safety issues.

Minutes:

Inspector Kathy Morteo provided the Committee with a verbal update on current issues, success and activities in the area. This update covered:

 

  • Burglaries in the local area
  • Fly-tipping in Overton Park


Residents were invited to report incidences of fly-tipping to the Council to be passed onto Environmental Enforcement Officers.

90.

Public Question Time

An opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda for this meeting.  If it is not possible to answer the question at the meeting, a written response will be issued.  Please submit your questions to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk .

Minutes:

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, asked the Committee why the Council was advertising the services of an “aggressive land agent” on the ‘Welcome to Cheam Village’ sign. It was acknowledged that a response had already been received from Greg MacDonald, Executive Head of Economic Development, Planning and Sustainability. Mary Morrissey, Strategic Director of Environment, Housing and Regeneration however, reiterated that the organisation in question was legitimate and met the Council’s advertising criteria. It was emphasised that advertising was not equivalent to an endorsement and that planning applications were determined on material considerations. Following a brief Member discussion, Councillor Tony Shields requested to know the income generated from such advertising.

 

Keith Percy, Highfields Residents’ Association, asked whether the Chair of the Committee had any plans to visit the Ridgway. In response, Councillor Tony Shields requested a date from Matt Clubb, Executive Head of Environment Commissioning, as to when the road would be cleaned of leaves, committing to meet before and after this date. The Executive Head agreed to look into the issue and suggested that any meeting between the Chair and Mr Percy could be attended by a Council Officer. John Bradshaw, local resident of Warren Avenue, added that the Council should carefully consider the timing of when leaves are swept in the area.

 

Tim Rumble, on behalf of Cheam Chamber of Trade, asked whether it was known how much income would be received by the London Borough of Sutton as a result of the increased business results payment. The Strategic Director responded that she could obtain a response from the director of finance but that figures were likely to be presented at the February meeting of the Strategy and Resources Committee. It was further added by Members that the financial position of the Council would be set out at Full Council in March.

 

Ian Berry, Friends of Cheam Park, referred to Item 77 of the previous minutes in respect of Cheam Park Depot and a meeting held in December 2016 with Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks, Biodiversity and Street Cleansing, enquiring as to any update. The Executive Head of Environment Commissioning responded that the number of vehicles operating out of the depot remained unchanged.

 

Eric Allen, Cheam Chamber of Trade, posed a question relating to the timing of the installation of Christmas lights and asked whether the date could be brought forward in future years. The Strategic Director apologised for any inconvenience this year and explained that a review was underway both internally and with the contractor. Members asked whether lights would be removed by twelfth night, to which the Strategic Director answered that this was planned for the 14 January.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, enquired whether the Parks department had a budget to replace trees removed under the four year tree cycle. The Strategic Director responded that funding was available from public realm for local committees and the Chair added that this request could return to a future meeting.  ...  view the full minutes text for item 90.

91.

South London Waste Partnership pdf icon PDF 1 MB

A presentation on the impact of the implementation of the South London Waste Partnership contract upon waste collection and street cleansing.

 

Minutes:

Matt Clubb, Executive Head of Environment Commissioning, gave a presentation on changes to the recycling and waste collection service with Elsie Grace, Regional Project Manager at Veolia.

 

Concerns were raised by residents as to:

  • The size of the food waste bin for larger families.
  • Nappy disposal under a fortnightly waste collection.
  • The Weight of a full glass bin.

 

In response, it was explained that residents could request multiple food bins free of charge. Residents were encouraged to use scented disposal bags but the Veolia representative committed to liaise with colleagues in Lambeth after similar concerns were raised there. Further detail was also provided as to an assisted collections service for those who were unable to lift or move bins.

 

Concerns were raised by Members as to:

  • The removal of large bins from residents without them being informed of the criteria to apply for additional bins.
  • An ‘unambitious’ recycling target in the Borough.
  • The jobs of current employees in the waste service.

 

In response, the Executive Head clarified that the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee had agreed a one-bin policy in November 2015 which was accompanied by a comprehensive communication plan and applied on a case-by-case basis. It was further added that an increase in recycling rates was anticipated with the addition of a food waste collection and that no jobs had been lost in the service changes.

 

Councillor Jane Pascoe suggested that stickers could be placed on the inside of bins to explain the new service, to which the Executive Head responded that this was a good suggestion.

 

Councillor David Hicks asked whether food waste could be put in the bin wrapped. It was clarified that only biodegradable wrapping would be acceptable.

 

The Chair also sought clarification as to whether black bags next to a brown bin would also be collected. The Executive Head responded in the negative due to a closed-bin policy. In response, the Chair requested that this be discussed again at the next meeting.


Finally, the Executive Head referred to an FAQ available on the Council website: https://www.sutton.gov.uk/info/200449/waste_and_recycling/1560/rubbish_and_recycling_changes_from_april_2017/2

92.

New Secondary School in Belmont pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Kieran Holliday, Head of Pupil Based Commissioning to provide an update on the development of the new school to be based in Belmont.

 

Minutes:

Kieran Holliday, Head of Pupil Based Commissioning, and Adam Whiteley, Senior Project Manager gave a presentation to the Committee.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, asked whether any flexibility for the design existed were more land to become available. The Head of Pupil Based Commissioning responded that this would be difficult and the site was comparable to existing schools in the Borough. Mr Mattey also enquired as to whether the consultation period for the planning application would be extended. The Head of Pupil Based Commissioning explained that this had only been considered should the consultation have fallen over Christmas.

 

Member concerns focussed on:

  • Further availability of land.
  • Temporary accommodation facilities.
  • Validation of the planning application.

 

In response, the Head of Pupil Based Commissioning underlined the complexity of both school sites in the Borough. It was explained that temporary accommodation was available, and could run for two years if required. The Strategic Director also confirmed that validation was anticipated within the next week and that transport assessments would be included.

 

Residents were invited to send any further questions to newschool@sutton.gov.uk.

 

93.

London Cancer Hub

Update by officers on any new information regarding this project.

 

Minutes:

At the direction of the Chair, the item was withdrawn from the agenda.

94.

Local Plan pdf icon PDF 4 MB

Senior Planners, Duncan Clarke and Keith Fraser to provide an update to the committee on the progress of the ‘Local Plan.’

 

Minutes:

Duncan Clarke, Principal Policy Planner, and Keith Fraser, Strategic Planning, gave a presentation on the Draft Local Plan. It was explained that hard copies of the Draft Local Plan would be available in local libraries and that consultation closed at 5pm on 24 February 2017.

 

Tim Rumble, on behalf of Cheam Chamber of Trade, expressed a desire for more shops, cafes and restaurants, in particular more independent outlets, in the Borough and whether there was a specific policy relating to the High Street. The Principal Policy Planner explained that consultants had been looking at high street growth and that the plan looked at a multitude of town centre uses beyond shops. The plan included a draft policy allocating a percentage for retail and non-retail use, permitting a broader choice.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, enquired as to whether this was the same document which had recently been presented at the Housing, Economy and Business Committee, to which the Principal Policy Planner responded in the affirmative. It was further elaborated that in its existing form it becomes a small material planning consideration which would gain weight post consultation.

 

John Bradshaw, local resident of Warren Avenue, asked whether the High Street would be a focus for regeneration. The Principal Policy Planner referred to the Sutton Town Centre Masterplan which had also been presented before the Housing, Economy and Business Committee. The principle elements were included in Policy 3 of the Draft Local Plan.

 

95.

Public Realm Projects and Priorities pdf icon PDF 8 MB

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to update on the progress of current schemes and remind the committee of neighbourhood grants applications recently approved under delegated authority.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, gave a presentation on public realm projects and priorities.

 

Following the presentation, Member discussion focussed on Overton Park and how residents could contribute following the discontinuation of the Friends of Overton Park. It was requested that the Locality Lead Officer investigated how a new group could be established.

 

Tim Rumble, on behalf of Cheam Chamber of Trade, enquired as to the rules for the licensing of community events. The Strategic Director explained that a recent change in rules was implemented following a High Court judgment and that a related report on this subject would go before the Strategy and Resources Committee.

 

Members also considered:

  • The planning of Christmas lights in the local wards.
  • A potential contract to reduce signage costs.
  • Rolling specifications for road closures.

 

RESOLVED - that:

  1. £1,800 be approved for a public noticeboard for Cheam park from Public Realm Capital.
  2. The sum of £7,060 be earmarked for the supply and installation of hanging baskets, barrier baskets and planters as a request for funding from the 2017/18 Public Realm revenue, subject to such sums being made available within the 2017/18 budget cycle due for approval by Full Council in March 2017.
  3. The allocation of £4,000 of additional funding be approved from Public Realm TFL for the Belmont embankment land scheme (SSCB 1516.13) due to further cost information being brought forward.
  4. The allocation of £2,000 of additional funding  be approved from Public Realm TFL for the Belmont embankment land scheme- Planter area (SSCB 1516.13) for a small planter scheme to enhance the visual amenity at the corner portion of this piece of land with planting.
  5. The allocation of £8,549 of additional funding be approved from TFL to complete the design and implement works for the current Highfield Area scheme (Scheme 1516.19).
  6. The sum of £14,550 be earmarked for the supply and installation of festive lights across the three ward areas, as a request for funding from 2017/18 Public Realm capital, to be converted to revenue, subject to such sums being made available within the 2017/18 budget cycle due for approval by Full Council in March 2017.
  7. The allocation of £5,000 be approved to supply materials for painting the fencing at Shanklin Village affronting Brighton Road from Capital Converted to Revenue.
  8. The allocation of £535 be approved to supply and install three ‘keep off the grass’ signs (and a few spares) to discourage cars from parking on and causing damage to the grass verges in Cheam Park car park, from Public Realm Capital.
  9. The allocation of £6,000 be approved from Public Realm Capital for additional funding of the Cheam Park trim trail (Scheme 1617.9) due to more specific trim trail costings being brought forward via the specific designs provided by the supplier.
  10. The recycling of £3,365 back to the unallocated balance for the capital scheme shown under appendix A section 6 be approved.
  11. Progress on schemes currently being delivered be delivered.

 

96.

Appointment of Community Representatives

An application for the appointment of a Community Representative has been received.

 

It is recommended that the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee appoint Stephen Phillips to represent the Belmont Allotment Association on the Local Committee.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that Stephen Phillips be appointed to represent the Belmont Allotment Association on the Local Committee.

97.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

The Chair must approve the reason for urgency.

Minutes:

No urgent items were raised.

98.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee will take place on 9 March 2017 at 7 pm at Chiltern Church, Chiltern Road, Sutton.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee will take place on 9 March 2017 at 7 pm at Chiltern Church, Chiltern Road, Sutton.

Public Questions - Written Answers Prior to Committee pdf icon PDF 48 KB