Agenda and minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Wednesday, 31st January, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Overton Grange School, Stanley Rd, Sutton SM2 6TQ .

Contact: Charles Yankiah, Committee Services Officer  Tel: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Link: Audio recording

Items
No. Item

25.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

Councillor Tony Shields, Chair of the meeting, welcomed all those present.

 

26.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillor Holly Ramsey and Mary Morrissey.

27.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

28.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 177 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 7 September 2017.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the previous meeting held on 7 September 2017 be approved as a correct record.

 

29.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

Sgt Nick Miles to provide an update on the three ward priorities in the area and community safety issues.

Indicative Time: 10 Minutes

Minutes:

Sgt Nick Miles provided an update on the three ward priorities in the area and community safety issues to the Committee, see attached as an appendix to these minutes.

 

Members enquired about staff and whether or not they were flexible and about project “Next Door” and being able to the share the information with local residents.

 

Sgt Miles informed the Committee that there was flexibility among the team and officers being able to provide cover from other wards. The links to the webpage for project “Next Door” can be provided and shared with local residents.

 

The Committee agreed that -

 

  1. Sgt Miles be thanked for his presentation and update.

 

  1. The new Safer Neighbourhood telephone contact numbers be circulated to members.

 

  1. The links and information relating to project “Next Door” be shared with members.

 

30.

Public Question time pdf icon PDF 284 KB

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Minutes:

Public questions ahead of the committee were published as an addendum and paper copies provided at the meeting.  Please see addendum for details of the questions asked and answered.

 

The Chair referred to Question 2 which had not been answered.

 

Street Cleaning

Members informed the Committee that neighbouring boroughs looked similar to Sutton in terms of cleanliness and the standard was pretty much the same, with high levels of car parking which made it difficult to clean certain streets.

 

Members identified certain areas that had not been cleaned, or fallen leaves removed since December 2017, including in the Belmont and Cheam ward areas, South Cheam, Brighton Road and neighbouring streets and commented that street cleaning used to be done on a regular basis, but the service has now deteriorated significantly. Veolia is an international company that operates worldwide, so why is the service so poor in Sutton.

 

The Chair stated that contracts usually have some sort of guarantees and undertakings and in the event that the contractor is failing, then the contractor should be told to take appropriate action or the contract should be taken away.

 

Food Waste Collection

A local resident enquired about the food waste collection and that it was not being done properly.

 

Matt Clubb, Assistant Director, of Environment Commissioning requested the details of the local resident in order to rectify the situation.

 

Traffic Calming

Vanessa Udall, a local resident enquired about Grange and Worcester Roads traffic calming measures and whether instead of road humps being installed would the Council consider installing electronic traffic calming measures instead which seemed to have a better impact.

 

The Chair informed the Committee that it would be considered with Item 10, Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants.

 

Lionel Bell, local resident enquired about a report that was due to be submitted to the Local Committee previously.

 

Ian Price, Highways Officer informed the Committee that the feasibility study is still ongoing and the data is not yet complete and as soon as it is complete the information would be shared.

 

The Chair requested that an informal meeting be arranged with local residents, the Chair, Ward Councillors and the Highways Officer once the information is available to discuss the options.

 

Members asked that consideration be given to traffic calming measures around schools in the wards as well.

 

 

Application Notifications

Mr Eric Allen, local resident enquired about planning application notifications that were previously delivered by post or email.

 

Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning informed the Committee that he would ensure that local residents group are added to weekly planning notifications in the future.

 

The Committee agreed that -

 

  1. Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning look into the issues raised by members and local residents relating to Veolia and planning notifications.

 

  1. Ian Price, Highways Officer arrange an informal meeting with local residents, the Chair, Ward Councillors once the data from the feasibility study is complete.

 

31.

Citizens Advice Bureau - Presentation Update pdf icon PDF 192 KB

Steve Triner from Citizens advice bureau will provide an update on the services provided across these ward areas

Indicative Time :15 minutes

Minutes:

Steve Triner Chief Executive, Citizen Advice Bureau (CAB) Sutton provided an update in relation to the services provided across the Local Committee areas, see attached as an appendix to these minutes.

 

Councillors Jane Pascoe and Mary Burstow commented that the data was being reported incorrectly and it should be based upon voting areas and not ward areas.

 

Councillor Clifton enquired about recruitment of volunteers for the CAB.

 

Steve Triner informed the Committee that the CAB is a well-known charity and its volunteers are usually students or young professionals seeking experience e.g. law students or retired professionals who have the spare time.

 

The Committee noted the update.

 

32.

Neighbourhood Services Update pdf icon PDF 687 KB

Neighbourhood Services to provide an update on the Street Cleansing service

Indicative Time :20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Dominic Aslangul, Neighbourhood Manager gave an update on the Street Cleansing services, see attached as an appendix to these minutes.

 

Members enquired about the “beat sweepers” and whether or not they still existed as they are no longer seen “on the beat” as some streets have been left unclean for months.

 

Dominic Aslangul informed the Committee that the “beat sweepers” do exist and have assigned areas/maps across 30 or so beats areas across the borough.

 

Members enquired about “jet washing” under railway bridges including York Road and if it was the responsibility of the Council to clean the bird mess or should Network Rail/Southern Rail be installing preventative measures e.g. plastic spikes or netted coverings.

 

Graham Jones enquired about Sutton High St and the increase in chewing gum stains and if there were plans to remove it. He also informed the Committee that there was a blocked drain on the A217 near to the Fire Station which was causing flooding in the area.

 

Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning informed the Committee that there were no immediate plans for the future to clean the Sutton High Street.

 

The Committee agreed that -

 

  1. Dominic Aslangul, Neighbourhood Manager investigate the issues raised by members relating to street cleansing and check standards in Brighton Road and neighbouring streets with Veolia.

 

  1. Dominic Aslangul, Neighbourhood Manager investigate the jet washing under railway bridges in the area and whether or not Network Rail/Southern Rail can install preventative measures.

 

  1. Dominic Aslangul, Neighbourhood Manager looks into blocked drain on the A217 and the flooding.

 

  1. The “beat sweepers” maps across the borough and the frequency of cleaning schedules be shared with members.

 

33.

Parking Strategy Update pdf icon PDF 867 KB

Highways officer to provide committee with an update on the latest developments in the Parking Strategy programme.

Indicative Time :45 minutes

 

Minutes:

Ian Price, Highways team leader Strategy and Commissioning provided a presentation on the Parking Strategy, see attached as an appendix to these minutes.

 

Members enquired if there were any plans to identify areas in wards for electric charging points and to increase parking bays for local shoppers and whether or not schools were involved in the consultation as traffic control would affect them as well.

 

Ian Price, Highways Officer informed the Committee that there is a citywide project that is running parallel to the consultation relating to electric charging points and bays.

 

Tim Rumble, local resident enquired if any businesses had been consulted as part of the 43,000 households.

 

Ian Price, Highways Officer confirmed that businesses were consulted but he didn’t have any figures at hand but would be happy to share that information with the Committee.

 

The Chair commented that with such a low response rate of between 5,000 - 6,000 responses would it be worth continuing with a million pound project.

 

Ian Price, Highways Officer informed the Committee that the lack of response could be from areas of the borough with existing parking controls and measures already in place and who may not be bothered to respond.

 

The Committee agreed that: -

 

  1. Ian Price, Highways Officer be thanked for the presentation.

 

  1. Ian Price, Highways Officer would share the data relating to the number of businesses and schools that have been involved in the consultation.

 

34.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 168 KB

Locality Lead Officer, Chantelle Swaby, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant Schemes agreed through delegated decision.

Indicative Time :15 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, provided an update on Neighbourhood Grants agreed since the last meeting and their current budget, as well as presented a report to the Committee, outlining new public realm schemes for approval and gave an update on the progress of current schemes.

 

The Locality Lead Officer also provided an update on the completed Public Realm schemes.

 

Members enquired about the removal of the 4 Silent Soldiers Silhouettes in the Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont (SSCB) Local Committee area that had been agreed, paid for and erected by the Local Committee and were of the view that it was agreed that it would remain throughout the year.

 

Chantelle Swaby informed the Committee that all 4 silhouettes that had been erected in the local committee wards had been removed due to vandalism but would be erected again for Armistice Day in 2018.

 

Members sought clarification on who authorised the removal of the 4 Silent Soldiers Silhouettes in the SSCB Local Committee area.

 

Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning informed the Committee that 50 Silent Soldier Silhouettes had been erected across the borough and there were a number of them that had been vandalised across the borough, there were no costs associated with the installation and removal and of the silhouettes.

 

Members were consulted on and in agreement that locations should be identified on Grange Vale Road and Worcester Road for the installation of electronic speed monitoring devices to be funded by the Local Committee.

 

The Chair informed the Committee that it should be proud about the way in which it handled the spending of the public money in the Local Committee area and that it had been prudent with the spending, on larger schemes e.g. playing equipment at Overton Park and Cheam Park and the Park on the triangle and not just replacing bins etc.

 

RESOLVED: that

 

  1. Committee noted the progress on the schemes currently being delivered.

 

  1. The Overton Park scheme to also include Overton Grange School with an option to scope for external funding and to also consult with local residents and resident groups.

 

  1. Locations should be identified on Grange Road and Worcester Road for the installation of electronic speed monitoring to be funded by the Local Committee.

 

  1. Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning look into who authorised the removal of the Silent Soldiers in the SSCB Local Committee area and feedback to members of the Committee.

 

35.

Sutton Plan pdf icon PDF 296 KB

Strategic Director Mary Morrissey to provide a verbal presentation to the committee on the priorities of the Sutton Plan.

Minutes:

Matt Clubb, Assistant Strategic Director, of Environment and Commissioning provided an update to the Committee on the priorities of the Sutton Plan, see attached as an appendix to these minutes.

 

Local residents enquired about the difference with The Sutton Plan, the Successful Sutton, the Local Plan and the Neighbourhood Development Plans.

 

Matt Clubb informed the Committee that The Sutton Plan engages with all partners identified across the borough, the Successful Sutton is a business improvement district scheme in the town centre, whereas the Local Plan deals with local planning and planning principles across the borough and the Neighbourhood Development Plans looks at development of environment around the local neighbourhoods.

 

Members enquired about how the public could get involved.

Matt Clubb informed the Committee that there is a Communications Plan that is being rolled out and would be shared and advertised to all local residents across the borough.

 

Local residents commented that the Council may want to consider engaging in advance with resident groups, resident associations and focus groups to gauge what local residents views are on upcoming Council plans and strategies.

 

RESOLVED: that the Committee noted the update on The Sutton Plan.

 

36.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

The Chair must approve the reason for urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

The Chair thanked everyone for their attendance and the “good spirit” over the last year, especially Chantelle Swaby, Localities Officer for her service and diligence to all members on the Committee.

 

Councillor Richard Clifton expressed a vote of thanks on behalf of the Committee to the Chair, Councillor Shields for his efficient and clear chairing and service to the Committee.