Agenda and minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 13th September, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Chiltern Church Hall, 83 Chiltern Rd, Sutton SM2 5QY

Contact: Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer  Tel: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Note: As we are now in the pre-election period (purdah) please be advised that the Tramlink Extension item will be removed from the agenda 

Items
No. Item

14.

Welcome and Introductions

Minutes:

Councillor Tony Shields welcomed those present to the meeting. The Chair read a statement relating to Purdah and also advised attendees that, due to being in purdah, the update on the Tramlink extension would not form part of this agenda.

15.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

 

16.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations.

17.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 86 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 21 June 2018.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the previous meeting held on the 21 June 2018 be approved as a correct record.

 

18.

Safer Parks Team

Gavin Weldon to provide a verbal update on the Ward priorities in the area and park safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 10 minutes

Minutes:

PC Bukhari provided an update on the priorities in the area and park safety issues. He responded to questions from Members and residents on the work of the parks team. The committee were advised that recent activity has focused on:

 

  • Liaison with travellers, and traveller incursions.
  • Prevention of crime within the parks
  • Dealing with any anti-social behaviour
  • Providing support to community events within the parks and open spaces.

 

Members asked for details of number of calls from residents in respect of traveller incursions, and also how many visits have taken place as a result of those calls. The officer advised that any traveller site is visited daily.  In respect of fly tipping the officer advised this is reported to the Council who take action on this. Members asked for details of issues recorded in the parks. It was confirmed these are recorded and will be shared with Ward Councillors following this meeting.

 

Questions were raised regarding the Council’s proposed 3 month injunction on stopping persons unknown entering Council land and park spaces, the officer responded accordingly.

 

19.

Public Question time

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

Minutes:

The chair brought forward two items for discussion at the beginning of this agenda item. This was regarding appointment of Community representatives to update the details of the representatives of this Committee.

 

The committee were advised that an application for the appointment of a Community Representative had been received. It was recommended that the Sutton South Cheam and Belmont Local Committee appoint Tim Rumble to represent the Cheam Chamber of Trade on the Local Committee.

 

The committee were also advised that an application for the appointment of a Community Representative had been received. It was recommended that the Sutton South Cheam and Belmont Local Committee appoint Beverley Brigden to represent the Shanklin Residents' Association on the Local Committee.

 

RESOLVED: that

  1. Tim Rumble be appointed to represent Cheam Chamber of Trade on the SSCB Local Committee.
  2. Beverley Brigden be appointed to represent Shanklin Residents' Association, on the SSCB Local Committee.

 

Mr Dave Banks, a local resident, highlighted a  flood risk within the ward area due to requirement for gully maintenance, cleaning of soakaways and also to review the structural design of the system.  He asked if this issue could be taken forward by the committee.

 

Councillor Shields advised he is aware this has been an ongoing issue and the committee would like to adopt this as committee business to look to resolve on behalf of the residents. The Chair asked for a report to come back to the next Committee meeting.

 

Marion Wingrove, a local resident, raised a query regarding clearing leaves in The Gallop and Langley Park Road.  Councillor Hicks advised he had sought  confirmation on the cleaning schedule. The Chair advised that he will write to the Chair of the Environment & Neighbourhood committee asking for details of plans that will be put in place to make sure that the contract specification on cleaning is met.

 

The Chair referred to the addendum of public questions which was distributed at the meeting. Mr Percy declared that he wished it to be noted that he is a cyclist and he that he has written the question in his personal capacity. Mr Percy, raised a supplementary question regarding the design of the front of the building previously known as Sutherland House.  Lynn Robinson, Senior Engineer advised that the Toucan crossing was removed under the Gateway scheme, not as part of the design of the Sutherland House. The Chair confirmed that the cost of reversing that decision would be prohibitive.

 

In respect of the written question from Mr Ian Berry, Mr Steven Swan asked a supplementary question to seek confirmation on how many full time staff are employed by idverde to maintain the parks ? It was agreed that this question would be taken away, and a response provided post the meeting. Mr Swan also raised a supplementary question regarding the play area in Cheam. He asked when the disabled trampoline would be replaced. It was agreed this would be followed up and a response provided post the meeting. It was agreed  ...  view the full minutes text for item 19.

20.

Tramlink Extension

Assistant Director of Economic Development, Nick Smales will provide an update on the Tramlink plans to date.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

Minutes:

This item was withdrawn due to purdah.

21.

Engagement Session - Review of Local Committees

 

Indicative timing: 40 minutes

Minutes:

Four questions were raised to residents, requesting views on structure and format of the committee the topics residents would like to add to agendas, the location and timing of meetings and suggestions on consulting a wider audience.  The Lead Locality Officer took note of the suggestions put forward by residents for further consideration and review.

 

In debate, residents asked about how to receive electronic alerts of meeting dates and agendas.  One resident advised that he had signed into the meeting and left his email address on a number of occasions and would like to be added to the email alerts.  It was agreed the Lead locality officer will pass details to Committee Services of the individuals who have completed the signed in sheet and requested alerts.

 

22.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 153 KB

Locality Lead Officer, Chantelle Swaby, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant Schemes agreed through delegated decision.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Lead Locality Officer, gave an update on neighbourhood grants and presented the information on public realm contained in the agenda, the presentation is attached to the minutes for reference.

 

The Lead Locality Officer invited Mr Mattey to update the committee on the event fees and charge grant that was given to the Belmont festival. The presentation given by Mr Mattey is attached to the minutes for information.

 

Mr Mattey advised the committee that the grants were used to cover the fees for road closures. There were over 70 stalls and entertainment provided. Mr Mattey thanked the team from Veolia who cleared the area throughout the day and by 8pm all the roads were reopened.  The organisations that helped with this event are detailed in the presentation. Mr Mattey thanked the Council for the grant.  The organisations that benefited from the funds raised by the event are within the presentation.  Over £11,500 was raised for local good causes.

 

The Lead Locality Officer will follow up with Members post this meeting regarding time scales for completion painting of the Shanklin estate railings.

 

In respect of the Overton Park improvements, The Chair asked that the Lead Locality officer arrange a date as soon as possible after 25 October with officers to review the action plan to take this forward. A particular concern was the proposal by the England and Wales cricket board to fund one or more all weather strips in the park.

 

23.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

The Chair must approve the reason for urgency.

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

24.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the South Sutton Cheam and Belmont Local Committee will take place on 10 January at 7 pm at Banstead Downs Golf Club, Burdon Lane, Cheam, Surrey SM2 7D

Minutes:

The date of the next meeting was confirmed as 10 January 2019.