Agenda and draft minutes

Sutton South, Cheam and Belmont Local Committee
Thursday, 19th September, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, Banstead Road, Sutton, Carshalton SM5 3NL

Contact: Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 5010 | Email:  chantelle.swaby@sutton.gov.uk  Cassie Fraser-Shanley, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

17.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Tony Shields, welcomed those present.

18.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence received.

19.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

20.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 97 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 13 June 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 13 June 2019 were agreed and signed as an accurate record.

21.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team pdf icon PDF 61 KB

An update on the three ward priorities in the area and community safety issues.

Minutes:

Sergeant Nick Miles was unable to attend so provided a written update which was published with the agenda.

22.

Public questions pdf icon PDF 110 KB

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions. Those who had submitted and received a response to a question ahead of the meeting (published as an addendum to the agenda) were invited to ask a supplementary question.

 

Ian Berry, Tudor Close Residents’ Association and Friends of Cheam Park, asked if it was possible for Sutton Council to create a single process for booking Council owned parks. Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks and Open Spaces, responded that there was a standard process for booking parks. Mr Berry suggested that event organisers need to be reminded at each stage of the booking process of the required steps to make the process more robust. 

 

Councillor Ramsey asked if the Council were responsible for keeping event organisers updated with the progress of their application. The Head of Parks and Open Spaces confirmed that there is now a more robust system in place for different teams to contact the event organisers at the relevant stages.

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, asked that a list of events be published on Sutton Council’s website to let residents know about upcoming events in the parks. The Head of Parks and Open Spaces confirmed that there is a list on the website and he was confident that the list is complete. He also confirmed that there is a flow chart available for residents to follow to make sure they obtain permission before planning an event and that additional checks have been put in the process to make sure applicants are aware of the process.

 

Andrew Behan, a resident, submitted 3 written questions regarding road signage which were responded to ahead of the meeting. He asked if members were happy with the responses which he received, particularly the question regarding the lack of 11 foot 3 sign on 3 railway bridges within the committee area. The Chair responded he thought it had been dealt with on 18 February and he will be writing to officers, asking for the signs to be erected and for Mr Behan to be notified once the sign has been put up. 

 

Ian Berry asked for an update on the new waste bin and replacement railing at Sheen Park. The Head of Parks and Open Spaces advised that he will seek an update and respond to Mr Berry following this meeting

 

Mr Berry thanked Councillor Ramsey and Mark Dalzell for their work in getting the park gates locked earlier. 

 

23.

Sutton Soup

A representative from the group to provide the committee with information on the Sutton Soup programme.

 

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Representatives for Sutton Soup provided the committee with information on the programme. To date, the programme has raised £12,042.20 and the representatives urged those present to promote the pitching opportunity to others.  

 

Councillor Ramsey asked if there was an age limit for potential pitchers. The representatives responded that there was no age limit. 

 

The date of the next event will be 10 October 2019 at St Nicholas Church, Sutton.

 

24.

TfL Demand Responsive Bus Trial pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Rob Varney, Local Communities and Partnerships, Transport for London, The Public Transport Liaison Group to discuss the local bus trial Go Sutton.

 

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Minutes:

Rob Varney, Transport for London, provided the committee with an update presentation on the local bus trial ‘Go Sutton’.

 

Feedback on the trial so far from both Members and residents has been positive. 

 

Members asked questions around plans for expanding the area of the trial. Mr Varney responded that expanding the area too far would challenge the service’s overall reliability and validity and due to limited resources, the area would not be extended in the trial period.

 

Members also asked Mr Varney about the promotion of the scheme. Mr Varney responded that the scheme was being promoted through a range of channels including social media, leafleting and advertisement at community events such as fetes and festivals.

 

Keith Percy, Highfields Residents' Association, asked if TfL were satisfied with 8 buses and if it was possible to make a booking for multiple people. Mr Varney responded that 8 buses was probably not enough, as demand increases and users can book up to 6 extra people on their booking, however two freedom pass holders cannot go on the same booking due to GDPR. TfL hope to overcome this challenge soon. 

 

Councillor Clifton asked if the 60+ Oyster Card could be used as payment. Mr Varney responded that the app would not allow any Oyster card to be used as payment. 

 

Andrew Behan, a resident, asked how the trial was able to operate in the area north of Carshalton Road, as this was marked out for no buses. Mr Varney responded that this issue had been raised with the Highways Department and he will make their response available to Mr Behan. 

25.

Order of items

Minutes:

The Chair announced that the parking strategy update would be taken ahead of the Neighbourhood Services update.

26.

Parking Strategy Update pdf icon PDF 171 KB

Mark Johnson, Parking Programme Manager, to provide the committee with an update on the parking scheme progress within the local area.

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Mark Johnson, Parking Programme Manager, provided the committee with an update on the parking strategy within the local area.

 

The Parking Programme Manager announced that the scheduled engagement events had been put on hold but all information, including the revised dates, will be available on Sutton Council’s website in due course. He confirmed that Councillors will receive an information pack before the letters are sent to Residents for information. 

 

Ian Berry, Tudor Close Residents’ Association and Friends of Cheam Park representative, asked why there was not a late night engagement event scheduled for Cheam. The officer responded that this was due to Cheam Library’s opening times to which the resident suggested alternative venues should be considered. 

 

Keith Percy, Highfields Residents' Association, asked the officer about the promotion of the consultation. The officer responded accordingly, informing him that residents will receive a letter with the revised dates on and any formal traffic regulation orders will also have public notices. 

 

My Percy also asked if there was a statutory way to analyse responses or if it was done at the Council’s discretion. The officer responded that they hope to have all the questions addressed before putting out the formal consultation, and the engagement events was an opportunity to speak to residents and explain their message. 

 

Mr Percy asked the Chair what a resident should say if they are opposed to the changes. Councillor Hicks responded that residents should say that they do not want the  scheme

 

Tim Rumble, representing Cheam Chamber of Trade, asked if businesses will also be consulted. The officer confirmed that letters will be sent to businesses and if they had any feedback, to email parking.stratagy@sutton.gov.uk. The officer confirmed that he would welcome the opportunity to meet with the Cheam Chamber of Trade.

 

Councillor Hicks queried why the Belmont engagement event was taking place in Sutton Central Library, and not in a Belmont venue. The officer will look into this and respond following the meeting.

 

A Mayfield Road resident asked if the proposed permit costs will be included in the consultation. The officer responded that the permit prices are available on the website. 

 

It was also mentioned at the meeting by Peter Mattey that he was meeting the officer next week to discuss parking issues in Belmont and Councillor Hicks will also be attending. Councillor Colburn will be meeting the officer for a separate meeting about the parking issues in the Cheam area.

27.

Neighbourhood Services (Parks) Update pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks and Open Spaces, to provide an update to the committee on the Park service and the Parks and Open Spaces Strategy.

 

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Minutes:

A presentation was provided by Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks and Open Spaces, to update to the committee on the Park service and the Parks and Open Spaces Strategy.

 

Members asked the Head of Parks and Open Spaces questions around tackling littering from park events, and whether there is a deposit scheme in place. The Head of Parks informed the committee that the team remind event organisers of booking terms and can refuse further bookings. There is a deposit system in place for larger bookings. He also agreed to meet Councillors to discuss the litter issue. 

 

Ian Berry, Tudor Close Residents’ Association and Friends of Cheam Park representative, asked how Idverde were performing and if the Council were satisfied with their services. The Head of Parks and Open Spaces responded that scores were variable, however Idverde have brought on new staff to be more responsive which was welcomed. Negotiations around the terms of the contract were ongoing, and both the Sutton and Merton Council are committed to continuing the contract. 

 

28.

Public Realm Projects pdf icon PDF 128 KB

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget and introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee.

 

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Locality Lead Officer, Chantelle Swaby, delivered a report to the committee on the Public Realm budget and advised Members of new Neighbourhood Grants schemes agreed through delegated decision. The summary of neighbourhood grants and events fees and charges grants approved were highlighted to the committee.

 

Councillor Garratt asked whether the traffic improvements listed on page 59 of the report pack would be rolled into the parking strategy. It was confirmed that they would be.

 

Councillor Clifton fed back that he was glad the cricket pitch in Overton Park was going ahead. He also asked whether the installation of 2 warning notices in Netley Close to reduce littering could be analysed to measure the impact to understand if they have been effective. 

 

Peter Mattey, Belmont and South Cheam Residents Association, asked why a funding bid for street trees was absent in the report. The Lead Locality Officer responded that the report is published 10 days in advance of the meeting, thus may not reflect the most recent changes

29.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

30.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on Thursday 21 November at Banstead Downs Golf Club, Burdon Lane, Sutton SM2 7DD.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on Thursday 21 November at Banstead Downs Golf Club, Burdon Lane, Sutton SM2 7DD.