Agenda and draft minutes

Sutton Local Committee
Thursday, 12th September, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Holy Family, Church Hall, Sorrento Road, 9 The Green, Sutton SM1 1QT

Contact: Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 6020 | Email:  paul.brockwell@sutton.gov.uk  Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

11.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Ali Mirhashem, welcomed those present.

12.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor David Bartolucci.

13.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

14.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 75 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 6 June 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 6 June 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

15.

Appointment of community representatives

An application for the appointment of a Community Representative has been received.

It is recommended that the Sutton Local Committee appoint Mr Rob Yuille to represent Sutton Garden Suburb Residents Association, with Ms Pat Knight as substitute on the Local Committee.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that Mr Rob Yuille, be appointed as a community representative, of the local committee on behalf of Sutton Garden Suburb Residents Association with Ms Pat Knight as a substitute.

 

16.

Public questions pdf icon PDF 122 KB

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least five workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions, and those who had submitted and received a response to a question outside of the meeting (published as an addendum to the agenda) were invited to ask a supplementary question.

 

Andrew Behan asked a supplementary question, about the length if time required to complete works outlined in his question.

 

Officers explained that the ‘report it’ function on the Council’s website can be used and that if issues remain the Council should be contacted. Members drew attention to reductions in funding for Local Government and the need to prioritise services, they suggested residents inform their councillor if they were experiencing issues with ‘report it’.

 

A Local resident asked revitalising the football pitch in the Rose Hill Park following the refusal of the planning application for a school on the site this on 10 September 2019. Members replied as there remained a possibility of an appeal by the applicant and timescales of appeals are dictated by the DfE and the Planning Inspectorate so remains unknown at this time it was probably too soon to make changes to the site.    

 

A resident asked if start times of building works to residential properties are included in planning permissions. It was noted that not all applications are presented to the planning committee, and some are completed as permitted development.

 

A resident reported they were aware of reports in the press that funding from TfL for the Sutton tramlink would be withdrawn due to HS2 costs. Members and Officers were not aware of any change to the funding position and agreed to keep the Committee updated.

 

Residents asked about the bins which had been funded by the Committee and had been stolen. The locations of the bins was discussed and explained.   

 

Councillor Ruth Dombey joined the meeting at 19.46pm. 

17.

Sutton Go Bus pdf icon PDF 2 MB

A project update will be provided by Robert Varney of Transport for London on the progress of the new Go Sutton Bus initiative.

 

Indicative timing: 30 minutes

Minutes:

Robert Varney, TfL provided the presentation.

 

Ms Morley, local resident drew attention to benefits for residents of the Go Bus Sutton, and that it provided an inclusive travel option.

 

It was explained the Sutton Go Bus scheme is a 12 month trial, which ends in April 2020, data is being collected by engagement work in the borough, including accessibility groups and analysis of data from various sources including the app.    

 

Robert Varney agreed to provide feedback comments from Members and residents of the meeting to the team analysing the Go Bus Sutton trial, these included: costs for parents, with children over age 10, freedom pass issues, areas where buses are not able to go due to weight limits and the need for amendments to signage. 

18.

Neighbourhood Services Overview pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Officers to provide an overview of the services they provide including waste collection, street cleansing, and related parks services.

 

Indicative timing: 30 minutes

 

Minutes:

Andrew Chandler, Head of Waste & Street Cleansing provided the presentation.

 

A local resident asked about the policy regarding leaving bins on pavements, the Head of Waste & Street Cleansing explained it is preferred that residents do not leave bins on pavements, and agreed to he could provide an update to the resident about the specific area concerned.

 

The Head of Waste & Street Cleansing explained that every gulley in the borough is cleaned every two years, and that those in priority areas are cleaned quarterly and that the borough and the contractor liaised about the programme. Members expressed concerns about the notices that gully cleaning is due, that these are not clear that parking is not allowed so the works can be carried out.

 

Residents mentioned that street sweepers are not able to clear some roads due to parking.  The Head of Waste & Street Cleansing, confirmed sweepers clean red routes and around signs on traffic islands.

 

Members asked when data from Veolia will be published, the Head of Waste & Street Cleansing agreed to try to obtain the date when this will be available.

 

Fixed penalty notices (£80) are issued for fly tipping offences, and work is carried out in known hotspots.    

 

The Head of Waste & Street Cleansing explained there is a biodiversity policy in place to which aims to enhance and protect open spaces, verges and wildlife (noting foxes are categorised as vermin).

 

Residents, Members and Officers agreed littering is a problem.

19.

Transport & Highways update on LIP 2019/20 schemes and new LIP schemes for 2020/21 to be agreed pdf icon PDF 129 KB

 

This report outlines the proposed schemes for inclusion in the 2020/21 bid to Transport for London (TfL) in the Sutton Local Committee Area. These schemes will be included along with other schemes from the five other local committees to form the Borough’s annual submission.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

 

Minutes:

Hitesh Wadher, Senior Engineer presented the report.

 

There were no further questions.

 

RESOLVED: that the proposed schemes, listed in the table in paragraph 4.7 of the report, be included in the submission to TfL in November 2019 for the 2020/21 programme.

20.

Public realm projects and neighbourhood grants pdf icon PDF 159 KB

The Locality Lead Officer to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant schemes agreed through delegated decision.

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

 

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer provided a presentation and presented a report.

 

Local residents provided feedback about events at Manor Park, Quarry Park and Sutton Green, which has been supported by Neighbourhood Grant Funding. The events in Manor Park and Sutton Green had also raised money for the Mayor’s Charity.

 

RESOLVED:

 

1.    That £350 for a Greenhill Street Tree from Public Realm Revenue be approved.

 

2.    That £3,000 for Manor Park Tree Avenue from Pubic Realm Capital converted to Revenue be approved.

 

The Chair and the Committee thanked Ade Adebayo, Assistant Director representative to this Committee for the support he has provided, this will be the last meeting of this Committee he would attend.  

21.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

22.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on 14 November 2019 at Holy Family Church Hall Sorrento Road, 9 The Green Sutton SM1 1QT

 

Minutes:

 

The date of the next meeting is 14 November 2019.