Agenda and draft minutes

Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee
Thursday, 17th January, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: North Cheam Sports and Social Club, 658 London Road, North Cheam, Sutton SM3 9BY

Contact: Cathy Hayward, Committee Services Officer  Tel: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Link: audiorecording

Items
No. Item

26.

Welcome and Introductions

Opening of the Local Committee meeting.

 

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Tom Drummond, welcomed those present.

 

The Chair drew attention to agenda item 7, and confirmed the petition is by residents of Hamilton Avenue and rather than Kingsmead Avenue as stated in the agenda.

 

The Chair also provided a statement from Sutton Council’s Planning Department given the significant local interest in the proposed Victoria House development. ‘As many will know the planning appeal made by Home Group to the Planning Inspector was rejected in late 2018. Officers and Councillors continue to meet with Home Group who remain committed to the redevelopment of the site with a view to designing a more acceptable planning proposal’. The Chair also mentioned that the proposed Aldi site development on the A24 on what was the Evans Autos site is currently an active planning application and as such unfortunately Officers are unable to comment on this at this stage.

 

A statement was provided regarding the proposed Quietway.

27.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies for absence.

28.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest. 

29.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 72 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 10 October 2018.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 4 October 2019 be signed and agreed as a correct record.

 

30.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

An update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

Minutes:

PC Andrew Lovell and PS Andy De’ Voreaux provided a presentation.

 

Members asked if the PC felt that the lack of street lighting in the Epsom and Ewell area bordering Sutton had resulted in crime. The PCs explained that analysis of data shows that crime is occurring during both day and evenings, and that this data is used when providing Police cover. The Police in the Local Committee area liaise with the Surrey Police.

 

Burglary was mentioned as a concern in areas where housing had back alleyways. The Police reported that any patrols will cover back alleyways and they provide the public with advice on ways that security could be increased if necessary. Crime prevention leaflets are being delivered throughout the area, and electronic copies of the leaflet are available on the Police’s facebook and twitter sites.

 

The PC advised Members if they are made aware of issues of speeding in the area the information (with as much detail as possible) should be passed to the Police.

 

The PC explained that some resource has been moved from the Local Committee area to the Sutton Town Centre area at night, and that this happens one week in five, there is also resource which is dedicated to the area, which can not be moved out of the area.

31.

Public Question Time

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative time: 25 minutes

 

Minutes:

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions, and those who had submitted and received a response to a question outside of the meeting (published as an addendum to the agenda) were invited to ask a supplementary question.

 

  1. Questioner - Alan Plant, Chair of CHAPRA handed the Chair a petition about Victoria House which he reported had over 1,000 signatures. The Chair thanked Mr Plant for the petition and handed it to Officers.
  2. Questioner - Mr and Mrs Mitchell, local residents - in relation to bins, including food waste bins left on pavements. Members agreed to provide photos of any bins left on pavements rather than returned to properties, and provide a list of roads where problems are found to Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer.
  3. Questioner - Angela Marriott, local resident asked about the proposed Quietway cycle route in a narrow roads such as Browning Avenue. Lynn Robinson, Senior Transport and Highways Engineer explained that stakeholder engagement will be arranged in April and the style of the engagement work to be used could be discussed with ward councillors before it is agreed. The proposal is currently at an early stage. Data will be collected and analysed, any proposal suggested must meet TfL requirements in order to be progressed. The Senior Transport and Highways Engineer agreed to provide ward councillors with a more detailed map which includes road names, she clarified that no decision has been made at this stage.
  4. Questioner - Richard Johnson, local resident asked if Officers could provide the numbers of residents who have registered to use the online planning portal, and the number who have registered to receive auto alerts to planning applications in specific areas. The Lead Locality Officer agreed to provide a response for Mr Johnson.
  5. Questioner - Carolyn Felton, local resident asked if there was a process for checking that biodiversity of wildlife is retained in areas where trees have been replaced as part of a development in an area. The Lead Locality Officer agreed to provide a response to Ms Felton.


In addition questions were asked:

A local resident asked about graffiti in Sutton Common Park. The PC reported that he has a photo list styles of graffiti by known graffiti artists and if he is made aware by residents of graffiti in an area he will arrange for it to be photographed and cross referenced. The Council aim to remove graffiti reported within 48 hours, reports can be made using the ‘ report it’ function on line or phoning the Council’s contact centre.

 

32.

Hamilton Avenue - Petition pdf icon PDF 91 KB

Following receipt of a petition from the residents of Kingsmead Avenue proposing the road changed to a one-way system a report will be presented by Highways and Transport following a detailed survey.

 

Indicative timing 10 minutes

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Chair introduced the lead petiitioner Mr B Gibbins.

 

Mr Gibbins outlined how he felt the petition submitted would lead to a reduction in congestion and increased road safety in Hamilton Avenue.

 

Lynn Robinson, Senior Transport and Highways Engineer presented the report.

 

A local resident suggested that any changes made to traffic management in Hamilton Avenue would have knock on effects in other local roads.  

 

RESOLVED: that

 

  1. Officers include the proposed no entry point in Hamilton Avenue, as shown on appendix A, in the informal consultation of the Windsor Avenue area scheme that is due to be undertaken early this year, 2019.

 

2.  A report of the results of the Windsor Avenue area informal consultation be provided to a future local committee meeting for consideration.

 

33.

Hate Crime

A presentation to inform people about hate crime and how it affects different people within the community.

 

Indicative time: 15 minutes

 

Minutes:

Abu Ullah, Community Safety, Hate Crime and Prevent Lead and Olivia Griffiths, Malookoo provided a presentation.

 

Abu Ullah, Community Safety, Hate Crime and Prevent Lead and Olivia Griffiths, Malookoo asked that residents and Members sign up as champions by emailing either of them on the email address on the presentation.

 

34.

Air Quality Consultation pdf icon PDF 2 MB

A brief statement to bring to the Local Committee’s attention the public consultation that will be undertaken on air quality and how residents can get involved and have their say.

 

Indicative time: 15 minutes

 

Minutes:

Fiona Phelps, Assistant Director Education and SEND read an update statement.

 

Fiona Meads, Group Manager, Regulatory Services read a question from a local resident and response from David Kingstone, Licensing and Environmental Compliance Team Leader.

 

Residents asked questions and the Group Manager Regulatory Services agreed to provide a response.

 

The questions included:

 

Will the Council be able to provide a long term commitment that radioactive waste will not be processed at the incinerator in Sutton?

 

Should the air quality monitoring equipment in Central Road be placed at a lower height or at a different position within Central Road, would this provide more accurate results of the air quality reaching residents using Central Road particularly young children? Also can the monitoring be carried out for short periods of time near locations where people are vulnerable as they are at the location for over one hour such as schools?

 

The incinerator will generate additional traffic in the area, what will be done if there are high levels of increased traffic caused by the incinerator?

 

The Group Manager, Regulatory Services, read question 2 from a local resident and the response provided by the Licensing and Environmental Compliance Team Leader.

 

A local resident asked about the online residents panel referred to in the opening statement, and asked if the Worcester Park Residents Association could take part?

 

Members asked that details of any consultation being carried out by the Council be sent by Locality Lead Officers to Community Reps and included in the Community Rep newsletter.

 

Local residents expressed concerns that they had not been aware of, the Air Quality Consultation, an important issue, and that residents need easier ways to find out about and to access consultations being carried out by the Council. Members also expressed concerns that about the arrangements for the publicity of the consultation.

 

The Chair reminded residents and Members that the Air Quality Consultation closes on 6 February, and urged residents to take part in the consultation.

 

35.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 126 KB

Locality Lead Officer, Paul Brockwell, to deliver a report on the Public Realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the Committee and remind committee members of new Neighbourhood Grant Schemes agreed through a delegated decision.

 

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer presented the report and presentation.

 

Members suggested that recommendation 1.2 could be more ambitious, and could consider the inclusion additional items such as secure stands.

 

RESOLVED: that

 

1.    £1,000 for street bins for Palmer Avenue/Newbolt Avenue green and Wickham Road/London Road junction from Public Realm Capital be approved.

 

2.            £2,000 for multiple street bicycle stands from Public Realm Capital be approved.

 

3.            £6,771 for 2019/20 hanging baskets - earmark funding from 2019/20 Public Realm Revenue (subject to funding) be approved.

 

4.            £1,250 for street trees in Langley Avenue from Public Realm Capital converted to Revenue be approved.

 

5.            £5,772 for a street tree replacement programme on Nonsuch crossroads from Public Realm Capital converted to Revenue be approved.

 

6.            Funds of £26,087 as listed under Appendix A, section 5 are recycled.

 

36.

Any Urgent Business

Urgent items at the discretion  of the Chair - To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.

 

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

 

37.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will take place on 25 April at 7 pm at North Cheam, Sports and Social Club.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee will be held 25 April 2019.