Agenda and minutes

Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee
Thursday, 14th July, 2016 7.00 pm

Venue: Sutton Life Centre, Alcorn Close, Sutton, SM3 9PX

Contact: Fiona Bywaters, Committee Services Team Leader, Tel: 020 8770 5122, Email:  fiona.bywaters@sutton.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

welcome and introductions

2.

apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies received.

3.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

4.

minutes of last meeting pdf icon PDF 140 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 17 March 2017.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the last meeting held on 17 March 2016 were agreed and signed by the chair as a correct record.

5.

public question time

An opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda for this meeting.  If it is not possible to answer the question at the meeting, a written response will be issued.  Please submit your questions to:  localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Three written questions were submitted in advance. All public questions and their answers can be read in the Appendix to the Minutes.

 

 

6.

update from the safer neighbourhood team

An update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Inspector Neil Tyre gave an update on the work of the Safer Neighbourhood Teams across all three wards.

 

Inspector Tyre advised that crime was up slightly across all three wards, however this was generally still considerably lower than last year.

 

The priorities set recently for the area at the ward panels meeting were Burglary, Criminal Damage and Motor Vehicle Crime, with each ward concentrating on trying to reduce incidences of these crimes through a number of measures.

 

Inspector Tyre advised that there were crime prevention screws available for car number plates, and anyone who required these could contact the team.

 

Inspector Tyre advised that there had been a recent issue with the ATM near Waitrose, and staff were working to mitigate that.

 

Councillor Arthur Hookway expressed concern about recent changes to staff, and asked if the ward panel could arrange a meeting with the SNT to discuss this, which was agreed. A number of other members of the Committee also requested to attend the meeting. Inspector Tyre clarified the current staff levels.

 

Sutton Police Station will be holding an open day on 18 September 2016 11am – 4pm, with last entry at 3:30pm for anyone who wished to attend.

 

 

 

 

7.

Sutton Fire Services

A representative from the Fire Brigade to provide a presentation to the Committee on fire services that are provided within the borough.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

Minutes:

There was no representative available for the meeting.

8.

neighbourhood grants

Will Solly, Community Development Officer to discuss local funding opportunities that can be applied for by local groups and communities.

 

Indicative timing:  15 minutes

Minutes:

Will Solly, Community Development Officer gave a presentation on the purpose of and process of Neighbourhood Grants.

 

The Community Development Officer clarified that groups could make as many applications in one year as they wished up to a total value of £1000, noting that applications could be for as little as £50.

 

Councillor Miguel Javelot requested information on the new criteria, and the Community Development Officer advised that there was currently a borough-wide scheme being set up to cover those projects which were not restricted to a local committee area, and advised that there were also grants available for start up costs.

 

The Community Development Officer advised the Committee that the decision process takes approximately 3-4 weeks to complete, and further details are available online at https://www.sutton.gov.uk/downloads/download/477/neighbourhood_grants. The poster is attached to the minutes. 

 

 

 

9.

Local Implementation Plan for the 2017/2018 budget pdf icon PDF 249 KB

Ian Price (Team Leader Strategy & Commissioning, Highways & Transport), to present a report recommending 2017/18 proposals and estimated costs for the Local Implementation Plan.

 

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Ian Price, Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning gave an overview of the purpose of the report.

 

Councillor Richard Broadbent requested clarification on who made the decision on the priorities, and the Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning advised that the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee made the decisions, following feedback from Local Commitees. The Team Leader Stategy and Commissioning advised that the projects were already listed in the suggested priority order.

 

Councillor Samantha Bourne asked why the 20mph zone in Church Hill Road was not included within the report. The Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning advised that if money was allocated previously in the LIP process but was not used, it would not be transferred from year to year, and therefore the scheme should be added back onto the list if the Committee felt it was required.

 

There were discussions regarding specifics of various different schemes.

 

Resolved: That the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee:

 

1.  Considers and agrees the proposed schemes within its wards as contained in Appendix A, with the addition of the Church Hill Road requested scheme.

 

2. Recommends that the Environment and Neighbourhood Committee, as the Highways Authority for the London Borough of Sutton, includes the list of schemes in Appendix A in its submission to TfL for LIP funding for 2017/18.

Simon Densley, Worcester Park Residents Association asked if Green Lane School had been consulted on the proposals, and this was noted.

10.

Traffic and Parking Engagement Schemes Update pdf icon PDF 241 KB

Ian Price (Team Leader Strategy & Commissioning, Highways & Transport) to present to the Committee the list of schemes that have been recommended by officers from the December 2015 public engagement session.

 

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Ian Price, Team Leader Strategy and Commissioning outlined the purpose of the report and the schemes included.

 

It was clarified that the scheme at Godalming Avenue actually should read Cheam Common Road.

 

Resolved: That the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee:

 

1.    Agrees that further investigation is undertaken at the locations identified in paragraph 3.1.

 

2.    Agrees that further investigation and action is undertaken for the parking scheme requests listed in paragraph 3.2.

 

3.    Agrees to delegate authority to process, consider and resolve any objections received to the Traffic Management Orders, to the Executive Head of Safer and Stronger Communities, in consultation with Ward Councillors and the Local Committee Chair.

 

4.    Agrees that the proposals, estimated to cost £4,000, are met from the 2016/17 Local Transport Funding allocation.

 

11.

public realm projects and priorities pdf icon PDF 462 KB

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer to present a report to the Committee, which outlines new public realm schemes for approval and gives an update on the progress of current schemes.

 

Indicative time: 15 minutes

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer gave a presentation on schemes currently in progress and those recently completed.

 

The Locality Lead Officer advised that in regards to the 20mph in Churchill Road, the speed survey had been programmed in, following the rebuild of the speedhumps in August 2016, and then the survey will then be able to take place, hopefully in December 2016.

 

It was noted that the item “Community based activity to reduce antisocial behaviour in Worcester Park” was going to be removed from the subsequent report as this scheme was no longer going forward.

 

It was noted that the remaining balance was £35,644.

 

Resolved: That the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee:

 

1.    Approves funding £130 of Public Realm revenue for the Adopt-a-Verge scheme where local residents and /or local schools help beautify a verge in their area with flower seeds/bulbs.

 

2.    Approves £5,500 of Public Realm capital for the supply and fitting of a new 500 mm tall section of vertical metal bar fence railing around the entrance to The Close.

 

3.    Approves £3,350 of Public Realm capital for improvements to the side entrance of Sutton Common Park (Morden Way entrance), including gate repairs, a new tarmac pad and two welcome signs.

 

4.    Approves £24,340 of Public Realm capital converted to revenue for the delivery and installation of festive lights across the Local Committee area.

 

5.    Approves £500 of Public Realm revenue for the regeneration of North Cheam crossroads with new flowering plants.

 

6.    Approves £2,000 from Public Realm capital for a ‘contemplation area’ in the Hamptons which includes an old oak and surrounding bench.

 

7.    Approves the net overspend amount of £993 Public realm capital, as detailed in Appendix A, Section 5, to be deducted from unallocated balances.

 

12.

any urgent business brought forward at the discretion of the chair

The Chair must approve the reason for the urgency.

 

Minutes:

Councillor Paul Wingfield raised that he was looking to consult with the public and then discuss with TFL the use of the loading bays near the junction of A24 London Road and Malden Road, and requested residents’ views, which were positive. Councillor Wingfield advised that he would be planning to undertake further public consultation alongside other councillors. Councillor Adrian Davey advised that it would be to be clarified if this work had already been covered by the reclassification work which previously took place as part of the Outer London Fund Bid.

 

13.

date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee will take place on 06 October 2016 at 7 pm at St Bede's Conference Centre, St Raphael's Hospice, London Road, North Cheam, Surrey, SM3 9DX.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 6 October 2016 at 7pm at St Bede’s Conference Centre, St Raphael’s Hospice, London Road, North Cheam, Surrey, SM3 9DX.

Appendix to the minutes pdf icon PDF 285 KB

Additional documents: