Agenda and minutes

St. Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley Local Committee
Thursday, 27th April, 2017 7.00 pm

Venue: Riverside Centre, 113 Culvers Avenue, Carshalton, SM5 2FJ

Contact: Committee Services  Tel: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

46.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed those present to the committee and made a statement regarding the pre-election purdah period.

47.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies were received from Councillors Court, Reynolds, Hunt, Gonzalez and Morton.

48.

Minutes of the last meeting pdf icon PDF 283 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 19 January 2017.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 January 2017 were approved and signed as a correct record.

49.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

50.

Public questions

An opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda for this meeting.  If it is not possible to answer the question at the meeting, a written response will be issued.  Please submit your questions to:  localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk

 

Indicative time: 5 minutes

 

Minutes:

David Tchilingirian, Local Resident, asked a question about air quality which is set out in Appendix A to the minutes. The Chair announced that the London Borough of Sutton was committed to being a green council and that their approach was through the One Planet Sutton strategy which includes air quality improvement.

 

Q. David Tchilingirian asked a question regarding the introduction of police bikes in a problem area by the new Hackbridge school to prevent youths speeding on motocross bikes.

A. Inspector Neil Tyre confirmed that the actual riding was taking in place in Croydon borough so complaints had been redirected to Croydon, however they agreed to investigate who owns the fence in order to make contact and recommend that they block it. He advised that the police were unable to chase people on bikes in the area as it is too dangerous and a very large area to cover, so unfortunately they had not managed to catch anybody.

 

Q. Julie Beech, a resident from Winchcombe Road - Asked for a definition of ‘purdah’.

A. Niall Bolger, Chief Executive informed those present that when an election is called, the authority is not allowed to use council money to support any political cause or purposes whatsoever during the purdah period. Officers can answer factually, and the council has chosen to go ahead with business as much as possible however must be careful not to breach the conditions of purdah.

 

Q. A local resident asked whether the situation regarding waste collection had now been rectified and whether they could expect continued collections on Saturdays where the scheduled collection was missed.

A. Scott Edgell (General Manager for the South London Waste Partnership - Veolia Environmental Services UK) apologised for the disruption, and explained he first few weeks were very challenging using new equipment and technology - we have found that the recycling rate is phenomenal and we were not prepared for it to be quite so high. We are beginning to stabilise the service however there are still some missed collections that we need to work our way through and we will be out on Saturday.

 

Q. Nicki Sutton from Millside informed the committee that they had not had a collection since 15 April and that the lorries were too big to go down her road. She added that she was woken up at 6am due to the lorry being stuck and staff swearing then only half of their collection was taken away. Her estate did want to recycle and would like to go to a communal collection which was refused but doesn’t have enough space for all of the bins allocated, and they were on a different schedule to surrounding roads so missed the extra collection on the Saturday. She asked how this could be resolved?

A. Scott Edgell agreed to speak individually with her afterwards to arrange for him to personally visit for a further look at the site. He explained that the vehicles are wider than Sutton’s previous vehicles and  ...  view the full minutes text for item 50.

51.

Update from the safer neighbourhood teams

Inspector Neil Tyre to provide an update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Inspector Neil Tyre provided an update on the three Ward areas, including:

  • The Westminster attack had impacted on all London Boroughs, so a large number of officers were extracted from their wards to assist however St Helier and Wandle Valley had two Dedicated Ward officers that were not sent.
  • Overall crime had dropped over the last year, especially noticeable in Wandle Valley.
  • Violent crime had reduced and vehicle theft was the most common issue.
  • Complaints from residents and businesses about young people in Middleton Circle resulted in a dispersal order to ask young people to leave the area in case of issues, and to be taken home with their parents to be informed constituting an offence if they returned within 48 hours. This caused a decrease in number of calls.
  • Operation Venice to target theft of motor vehicles - Wards patrolled in problem areas.
  • Talks on fraud at churches for the elderly and vulnerable.
  • Speed awareness patrols in problem areas - issued speeding tickets.
  • London Met knife crime reduction operation - not such an issue in Sutton so mostly centred on weapon sweeps.
  • Reduction in anti-social behaviour around KFC - two prominent troublemakers had been caught and Betfred were working with police to share CCTV.
  • Half a dozen drugs warrants with great success - vast amount of cannabis seized.
  • Rose Hill - robberies recently, the single culprit was known and was charged.
  • The Wrythe - biggest issue was parking around primary schools where residents couldn’t exit their drives so crime prevention advice was issued.
  • Minor issue with drugs around Carshalton College that the team were tackling.

 

Following questions from residents, Inspector Tyre agreed to speak with colleagues about the large selection of alcohol at the new convenience store at The Circle. He also confirmed to be vigilant on behalf of a gentleman who maintains the small green by the bridge who had a lot of his plants stolen, and to progress concerns about drunks and low level drug dealing in the streets.


Councillor Crossby asked for an update regarding the number of PCSOs for Rose Hill, and Inspector Tyre confirmed that they were not recruiting PCSOs and had lost a number so were down to one non full time PCSO per Ward.

52.

Citizen's Advice Bureau - Advice Link Partnership pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Steve Triner of Citizens Advice Sutton to present an item on the Advice Link partnership Sutton (ALPS), which is the new information and advice service for the borough.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Steve Triner Chief Executive of Citizen’s Advice Sutton and Rachael MacLeod, Chief Executive at Sutton Carers Centre gave a presentation on the Advice Link Partnership in Sutton (ALPS). The slides were available as part of the agenda pack.

 

Ken Fish asked whether there were statistics on how many residents of Sutton had lost their mobility vehicles through PIP, and if so how many had them returned. Steve Triner confirmed that a large amount of work that they do is to assist people with their appeal submissions for PIP and that they would provide the response to the Chair to share in the minutes including how Sutton compares to other areas. He went on to announce that they were running a debt advice service from the Riverside Centre, and seeking to spread leaflets as far and wide as possible. Rachael MacLeod confirmed that she would leave some case example of local residents who have used the ALPS service for the chair to circulate.

 

Councillor Crossby extended thanks to the service and all staff/volunteers. Rachael MacLeod informed the committee that they were seeking Information and Advice volunteers to work on the ALPS project.

53.

ORDER OF ITEMS

Minutes:

The Chair announced that the item ‘Sutton Plan’ would be removed from the agenda due to restrictions during the purdah period. As such, items were considered as follows.

54.

Recommendations tracker pdf icon PDF 75 KB

The recommendations tracker allows Committee Members to monitor responses, actions and outcomes against their recommendations or requests for further actions. This is updated following each Committee. Once an item is completed it will be removed from the tracker.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Lead Locality Officer introduced the recommendations tracker which was available as part of the agenda pack. She handed over to Hitesh Wadher, Senior Professional Engineer, who provided updates on the following two items:

 

  • Item 6 Transport for London – The Committee requested that TfL reinstall the removed guardrail in Reigate Avenue – They met with TfL on 9 March, who agreed to review their case and representations from residents and respond to them.
  • 28/01/2016 – Item 7 Petition from Carshalton Boys for a crossing – They had met with one of the teachers from the school to review the constraints within the site that they were seeking to install the crossing at. A location had been identified


Following a question from a member of the public, Hitesh Wadher confirmed that the crossing would be a zebra crossing. Another member of the public raised concerns that a crossing would not prevent children from running across the road to catch a bus, Hitesh Wadher informed the committee that the crossing would provide a facility to indicate where to cross. Councillor Crossby added that the petition for the crossing had come from pupils at the school, and Claire Smith added that the school had a School Travel Plan and that there were talks planned at the school to address the issue of road safety. Another resident asked whether the bus stop could be moved however Hitesh Wadher confirmed that this had been considered and decided against for a number of reasons.

55.

Highways updates

Hitesh Wadher (Senior Professional Engineer) to give a verbal update on Highways projects in the ward areas, including an update on the parking strategy.

 

Indicative time: 15 minutes

Minutes:

Hitesh Wadher, Senior Professional Engineer, provided an update on the parking strategy, in particular that plans were being pulled together in terms of reviewing the parking situation in the area, and establishing where the hotspots were.

 

A resident raised concern that her mother had received a parking ticket for parking across her driveway, where it had never been an issue in the past, and that others were recently informed of changes that they must park in the road rather than on the pavement. Hitesh Wadher confirmed that he would look into the reason for the changes. Niall Bolger added that it may have been in response to a complaint as there was no systematic approach to blitzing an area unless there had been a complaint so assured the resident that officers would get an answer for them very soon.

 

Following further questions from residents, Hitesh Wadher confirmed that the documentation and plans for the Felnex Estate should be available on the planning portal and that there was a team of highways officers that dealt with developers highways schemes, and that he had contacted TfL regarding the proximity of a bus stop by Hackbridge station to two informal crossings.

 

Councillor Stears responded to a question from a resident regarding parking and traffic issues surrounding the ongoing development on Culvers Avenue. It was established that the scheme was ongoing as scheduled and that the roads did not belong to the council as they had not yet been adopted.

 

Following concerns from a resident, Niall Bolger informed the committee that there was a limited amount of CEOs and so they had to target specific areas, however that if residents were to write to the parking team they would attend to a problem they are alerted to, and would work outside normal business hours if that was when the problem occurred.

56.

Men of the Wrythe war memorial

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer, to give a presentation and update the committee on the above project.

Indicative Time: 15 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Lead Locality Officer, and Roger (surname?), presented on the Men of the Wrythe war memorial, in particular that:

 

  • The cross had been returned to The Wrythe after being moved to All Saints Church
  • A working group had been formed, and the unveiling of the War Memorial would be on 15 July on the green. There will be a ceremony with local school children and the Royal British Legion.
  • The wording for the cross had been agreed
  • Local historians had advised on the best way to commemorate the men
  • The Royal British Legion had donated the money for the plaque
  • Further projects on the Green from the community group formed:
    • Roger (landlord of The Hope on West Street and Chair of Carshalton Society) - a separate event from the installation of the memorial - a play to be performed at Carshalton Girls School, a re-enactment of the famous World War Christmas Day football match between a youth team and Carshalton boys at Carshalton Athletics, a marquee with talks and snacks, a military band, food and drinks. All to commemorate the Men of The Wrythe. - 15 July 2017.
    • Carshalton Charters Fayre is moved to this event for the year.

 

Councillor Crossby extended her thanks to all involved in the project.


A resident asked whether there would be an annual service held at the memorial. Roger confirmed that there had already been services and they intended to continue.

57.

Middleton Circle regeneration project

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer, to give an update on progress on the above project.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Lead Locality Officer, provided an update on the Middleton Circle regeneration project, in particular:

  • The project stemmed from concerns about issues in the area, in particular anti-social behaviour
  • An art project had been commissioned involving local youth groups, schools, Horizon Church, businesses to put artwork at the end of the row of shops, on the side of Favourite Chicken and the shop on the opposite side of the road.
  • There would be consultation and engagement with the local committee.

 

58.

Public realm projects and priorities pdf icon PDF 99 KB

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer, to present a report to the Committee, which outlines new public realm schemes for approval and gives an update on the progress of current schemes.

 

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Lead Locality Officer, presented the update on public realm projects and priorities


Councillor Colin Stears sought clarification on the number of hanging baskets at the Green Wrythe Lane shops and Claire Smith confirmed that she would investigate the last order as there were 4 installed but they were looking into floor planters in the area as the railing had been taken down meaning they could not install barrier baskets.

59.

Neighbourhood grants

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer, to present on any new applications for neighbourhood grant consideration.

 

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Lead Locality Officer, informed the committee that one neighbourhood grant had been granted recently and that there was £5000 available so local groups were encouraged to apply, as well as fees and charges for events to be covered.

60.

Any urgent business brought forward at the direction of the chair

The Chair must approve the reason for the urgency.

 

Minutes:

The Chair announced that this would be her last meeting as Chair of the committee as she was nominated as Mayor. She extended her thanks to the residents who attend the committee.

61.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley Local Committee will take place on 6 July 2017 at 7pm at All Saints Centre, New Road, Mitcham, CR4 4JN.

Minutes:

The next meeting will be held on 6 July 2017 at 7pm at the All Saints Centre, Mitcham, CR4 4JN.

Appendix to the Minutes pdf icon PDF 79 KB