Agenda and minutes

St. Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley Local Committee
Thursday, 11th October, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: All Saints Community Centre, New Road, Mitcham, CR4 4JN

Contact: Cathy Hayward, Committee Services Officer  Tel: 020 8770 4990 Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Link: audio

Items
No. Item

56.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The chair welcomed attendees.

 

The chair provided the following updates:

 

The Hackbridge Neighbourhood delivery group have been made aware that agreement has been reached to hold a referendum, no date has yet been set. Residents are encouraged to vote in the referendum.

 

Sport England have arranged free fitness sessions in local outdoor places, in this Local Committee area, a session will be held on Poulters Park. Residents are encouraged to look at the www.ourparks.org.uk website for more details.

 

57.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Nali Patel and Martin Gonzalez.

 

58.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

59.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 37 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 12 July 2018.

 

Minutes:

 

RESOLVED that:


The minutes of the meeting held on 12 July 2018 be agreed as an accurate record.

60.

Sutton Link pdf icon PDF 2 MB

A presentation on the new proposed Tramlink within The London Borough of Sutton

 

Indicative time: 40 minutes

Minutes:

 

Daniel Doris, Programme Manager, Major Schemes gave the presentation.

 

The programme Manager and Matthew Rheinberg, Transport for London (TfL) answered questions and explained that:

 

Consideration had been given to extending the overground network, but it had been felt that this would not improve the connectivity between Sutton and Merton which is amongst the priorities for the scheme. Furthermore this is something that TfL support in addition to the Sutton Link.

 

TfL and the council acknowledged that there would be disruptions during any construction phase, construction would be completed in sections with consideration given to local residents and traffic flows in the area.

 

Due to the wider range of route options in the Merton area there are more public consultation events, nine, in Merton compared to the five planned in Sutton, however the potential for more events is being explored. There is only one planned event in this local committee area, however it was confirmed that a representative from TfL would be happy to meet local resident associations.  

 

The bus rapid transit in this scheme would have less frequent stops than a traditional buses and be separated from other traffic. This type of scheme is used in other parts of the UK (outside London) and in Europe, the technology involved in electric vehicles is developing very quickly, which has created more viable options for making use of this type of scheme.

 

Both of schemes outlined, the bus rapid transit and the tram scheme would be separated from traffic, although in some places traffic and trams would be able to use the same road space. A tram would carry more passengers and be slightly quicker than a rapid transit bus. Both schemes would be wheelchair accessible and step free.

 

The TfL representative explained that network capacity and demand in all parts of the transport infrastructure, trains, underground, buses and parking is an issue across London. TfL work to manage the whole network, giving consideration to areas of housing development. Simon Latham, Assistant Director, Planning, Housing and Regeneration added that some transport issues are not part of TfLs responsibility, and the Council are also working to improve the transport network including parking in areas where they have responsibility.

 

There is funding in place for the Sutton Link scheme, and strategies in place to fill funding gaps.

 

61.

Local Committee Engagement Session

An engagement session to seek opinions from the community on what changes would like to be seen at future Local Committee meetings.

 

Indicative time: 45 minutes

Minutes:

The Lead Locality Officer introduced a local engagement session to obtain suggestions on enhancing and improving the local committee format in direct consultation with local residents.

 

The feedback was collected for officers to review.

 

62.

Customer Access Strategy

Customer Access Strategy at local committees. An interesting item for residents and councillors as it explains the planned changes to improve their interactions with the council, and provides an opportunity for residents to feedback any issues they have been faced with when contacting the council.

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

Councillor Stears joined the meeting at 8.10pm.

 

Rebecca Peck, Head of Customer Experience, gave the presentation.

 

In discussion the Head of Customer Experience explained:

 

A redesign of the website will be completed within current budgets, using a range of internal and external staff. The website will involve shared technologies between Sutton and Kingston but each council will have its own website. The Head of Customer Experience provided information about where the data presented had been taken from, and reported that she could provide further information about the data sources if required.

 

The Head of Customer Experience asked if any resident willing to be involved in the work to improve the website or if councillors or resident had examples of specific issues relating to contact to the Council either electronically, by phone or in person could leave their details. This information could be used to support improvement to the service.

 

The Customer Experience team take phone calls relating to all Council services this allows priority to be given to emergency calls. The Head of Customer Experience reported she has data showing the numbers of calls about each issue the team have been contacted about, and this data will be made available to to the public.

 

The number of calls the council’s phone system can receive at any one time is very large, calls are answered by between 10 and 15 members of staff. Staff cover of the phone lines must be balanced to ensure there is the correct level of cover during both busy and quieter periods

 

63.

Recommendations Tracker pdf icon PDF 113 KB

The recommendations tracker allows Committee Members to monitor responses, actions and outcomes against their recommendations or requests for further actions. This is updated following each Committee. Once an item is completed it will be removed from the tracker.

 

Indicative time: 5 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer provided an update on the schemes.

 

Residents reported that parking at Hackbridge Sainsburys remained a concern, the Locality Lead Officer agreed to contact the owner of the land where the parking is an issue and provide further updates to the Committee.

 

It was confirmed that the Passenger Transport Liaison Group (PTLG) is not a public meeting, information can be provided of groups which residents can be involved in.

 

64.

Public Realm Projects and Priorities pdf icon PDF 118 KB

The Locality Lead Officer will present a report to the Committee, which outlines new public realm schemes for approval and gives an update on the progress of current schemes. A presentation will be given on grant applications approved under delegated authority since the last meeting of this committee.

 

Indicative time: 5 minutes

Minutes:

Claire Smith, Locality Lead Officer provided an update on schemes.

 

65.

Public Questions

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative time: 10 minutes

 

Minutes:

Members asked about the delay in fitting mesh in Robertsbridge Road, and why this has now been included in the parking strategy causing further delay. The Locality Lead Officer will contact the Highways team to provide an update.

 

Concerns were raised about the length of the yellow lines and the reinstatement of the tarmac in Stavordale Road following the recent works. The Locality Lead Officer will ask the Highways team for further updates.  

 

The Locality Lead Officer explained that public meetings are being planned to provide residents with results of the parking strategy consultation, these meetings will include options for schemes which have been developed using the results.

 

Members of the Committee and local residents expressed concerns about the level of police cover in the area. The Locality Lead Officer will ensure that a police representative is invited to the next meeting of the Committee.

 

A local resident asked if members of the Committee and residents would join together to attend the opening of the Energy Recovery Facility (ERF) and raised concerns about air quality especially in roads used by lorries travelling to the ERF.

 

Residents explained that they appreciate attendance by Councillors to Residents Association meetings, where the Association covers parts of the wards the councillor represents.

 

66.

Any urgent business brought forward at the direction of the chair

The Chair must approve the reason for the urgency.

 

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

 

67.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley Local Committee will take place on 24 January 2019 at 7 pm at Horizon Church,  Assembly Walk, Carshalton, SM5 1JH, UK.

Minutes:

 

The next meeting will be help on 24 January 2019 at the Horizon Church.