Agenda and minutes

Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee
Tuesday, 15th January, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, Banstead Rd, Sutton, Carshalton SM5 3NL, UK

Contact: Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer  Tel.: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Link: audio Recording

Items
No. Item

25.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair welcomed all those present.

26.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Moira Butt and apologies for lateness were also received from Councillor Tim Crowley

27.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 41 KB

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest made.

 

28.

Minutes of last meeting pdf icon PDF 81 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2018.

 

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2018 were approved as a correct record and signed by the Chair.

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 16 October 2018 were agreed and signed as an accurate record.

 

29.

Safer Neighbourhood Update

An update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 10 minutes

Minutes:

The Chair advised the committee that the Safer neighbourhood team item was withdrawn as officers were not available to attend.

 

30.

Appointment of new Community Reps

Two applications for the appointment of a Community Representative have been received.

 

It is recommended that the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee appoint Jackie Smith to represent Friends of the Ecology Centre, with Sarah Gibson as substitute on the Local Committee.

 

It is recommended that the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee appoint Janet Imms to represent Sutton Nature Conservancy Volunteers, with Diana Hurter as substitute on the Local Committee.

Indicative timing: 5 minutes

 

Minutes:

The committee were advised that two applications for the appointment of Community Representatives had been received.

 

It was recommended that the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee appoint Jackie Smith to represent Friends of the Ecology Centre with Sarah Gibson as Substitute on the Local Committee.

 

It was recommended that the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee appoint Janet Imms to represent Sutton Nature Conservation Volunteers with Diana Hurter as substitute on the Local Committee

 

RESOLVED: that

  1. Jackie Smith be appointed to represent Friends of the Ecology Centre with Sarah Gibson as Substitute on the Local Committee.
  2. Janet Imms be appointed to represent Sutton Nature Conservation Volunteers with Diana Hurter as substitute on the Local Committee.

 

31.

Community Action Sutton pdf icon PDF 1 MB

A presentation from Alison Navarro of Community Action Sutton to provide information on the voluntary and community sector service they provide to local community groups.

Indicative timing: 25 minutes

 

Minutes:

Alison Navarro from Community Action Sutton (CAS) provided a presentation on the Services provided to support local community groups. The presentation was published with the agenda.

Following the presentation in discussion the meeting attendees were asked if they were aware of how these issue may affect people within the local community and if there is an awareness of support systems in place. Alison Navarro reiterated that if any individuals wish to talk about issues raised during the presentation to please get in touch with her.

A local resident asked about homelessness in the community.  It was confirmed that CAS are not not currently involved in any projects in that respect but would welcome any contact post this meeting to look at what support can be provided.

Alison Navarro also offered to deliver some safeguarding training and if people are interested in attending to please let her know.  The Chair indicated she would welcome this.

7.30pm Councillor Tim Crowley joined the meeting.

 

32.

Update on the Charles Cryer Theatre and the High Street

Christopher Rhodes Head of Asset Management will provide a presentation and an update on the outcome for the future use of the site.

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Christopher Rhodes, Head of Asset Management provided the committee with an update on the outcome of the proposals for the site. The Head of Asset Management  advised that the Council marketed the property and had a large number of expressions of interest from people who wished to take over the whole complex. The choice of the stakeholder groups and officers was Cryer Arts and this was approved at Strategy and Resources committee in October 2018.

A presentation was provided by the successful bidder Cryer Arts which was presented by Gary Milsom and Rodger Molyneux, two of the Directors of the organisation. They advised that the aim of Cryer Arts is to reestablish the Charles Cryer theatre  as a thriving Community Arts project. They will use the restaurant on the ground floor as a restaurant and bar, and income from this will support the theatre development. There will also be a small stage for live entertainment within the bar area. The frontage for the building will be renovated and this will improve the look and feel of the high street.

There will also be meeting space which could be available for any local meetings

Ray Liffern from Carshalton on the Hill Residents Association asked about the number of seats in the auditorium.  Gary Milsom advised that the theatre would potentially hold 120 - 130 people and there are plans is to change to retractable seating in due course to aid more flexible use.

A local resident asked about disabled accessibility to the venue and it was  confirmed there is a lift in place for disabled access.

Head of Asset Management provided an update on other buildings in the High Street, that are not owned by the Council; The committee were advised that in respect of The Fox and Hounds that colleagues in Planning are considering enforcement action due to state of the building.  The Gurnard Building had been sold at auction recently. It is believed that the new owners are looking to convert it to residential units and are in discussions with the planning team within the Council.

 

Susan Kelsall from Friends of Honeywood Museum asked about plans for, The Old Rectory building. The Head of Asset Management advised the building’s listed status been upgraded from Grade 2 to Grade 2* and the Council's development company have been looking at trying to take forward a residential scheme and also a commercial unit within the site.  This was under review.  He further advised that in respect of the Grove building there will be a report to the Strategy and Resources committee in April to look at uses for that building which would most likely mean a change back to its original residential use divided into apartments.. 

 

33.

Hate Crime Awareness pdf icon PDF 204 KB

Presentation by Abdul Ullah Community Safety Officer to inform people on hate crime and how it affects different people in the community.

Minutes:

Abu Ullah, Community Safety Officer and Olivia Griffin  provided a presentation to inform the committee on hate crime and how it affects people in the community. The presentation was attached to the agenda for reference.

They provided a brief overview of what hate crime is and why it is important to report these types of crimes. It was also highlighted that any witness may report a crime.

Councillor Whitehead asked how community cohesion can be improved.  Olivia Griffin advised of the current awareness work being provided to schools and colleges and Alison Navarro advised that there are 21 community representatives who have signed up to be hate crime champions. She advised that support and training is being provided for them. In addition work is ongoing  with the business community to provide safe spaces on the high street so victims can get help and take sanctuary when needed.

 

34.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 107 KB

The Locality Lead Officer will present a report to the Committee, which outlines new public realm schemes for approval and recently approved Neighbourhood Grants.

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Lead Locality Officer, presented a report giving an update on neighbourhood grants and public realm spending since October 2018. She advised that Event fees and charges funding is still available and she would welcome residents coming forward with requests.

 

Since the publication of the report the Tree planting on Oaks way has now completed, and it was highlighted that the addition of names to War Memorial is also complete.

 

In respect of the Historic Heritage walking trail app within Carshalton,  Members were advised this is still in development and there is a working group in place looking at this. If anyone would like to join the group to let the Lead Locality Officer know accordingly.

 

RESOLVED: that

 

1. The earmarking of funds for the supply and installation of hanging baskets scheme across the two ward areas, for £2,708 from Public Realm revenue in 2019/20 (subject to funding being made available) be approved.

2. The recycle funds of £19,233 as listed under Appendix A, section 5 by approved.

3. The progress of the Public Realm schemes listed in Appendix A be noted.

 

The Chair asked for people to put forward ideas on how to spend the remaining funds and to come back to her with ideas.

 

35.

Public Question Time

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative timing: 15 minutes

 

 

Minutes:

A Local Resident Mr Dave Andrews from Carshalton Fields Residents Association requested an update on the responses to the consultation regarding reducing speed in Stanley Park Road area. He advised that the consultation closed on 21 December 2019 but he had not heard back regarding the representation put forward by the Carshalton Fields residents association.

The Chair advised that Highways colleagues will review representations and will respond. Mr Andrews requested a date of when a reply will come back to respondents, and this will be investigated and a response provided following this meeting.

The Chair requested that this should be an agenda item on the next committee meeting and that Highways colleagues should attend to discuss proposals.

Councillor Crowley also raised the issue of  phase 2 of the parking consultation. The Chair read a statement from the Head of Safer Communities regarding this, the meeting were advised that the Parking Strategy consultationStage 2 covering Sutton Local, including Central, North and West; Wallington North (part) and Hackbridge; Sutton South and Belmont (part) Carshalton Central; St Helier, The Wrythe and Wandle Valley commenced on Friday 16 November 2018 and was due to close on Sunday 16 December 2018.

As a result of much interest the closure of the consultation was extended to Sunday 30 December 2018. Analysis was currently being carried out and reports prepared on the feedback. When these reports are complete, the information will then be shared with indications on the possible way forward for future stages.

The Chair advised that there will be separate meetings on the parking strategy. Councillor Whitehead requested that as part of the Parking Strategy consultation that Community Reps and local traders should also be invited to put forward their views.

Ray Liffen from Carshalton on the Hill Residents Association asked about the cleaner air information leaflet which was provided at the meeting and asked if there would be an Air quality monitoring system east of the incinerator.

The Chair took the opportunity to remind the meeting that the Air Quality action plan is now out for public consultation and reminded people to contribute before the deadline of 6 February 2019.

 

36.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

The Chair must approve the reason for the urgency.

 

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

37.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Carshalton & Clockhouse Local Committee will take place on 7 May 2019 at 7.00 pm at Hillcrest Hall, 42 Fryston Av, Coulsdon CR5 2PT, UK.

Minutes:

The next meeting will take place on Tuesday 7 May 2019 at 7pm at Hillcrest Hall, 42, Fryston Avenue, Coulsdon CR5 2PT.