Agenda and draft minutes

Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee
Tuesday, 24th September, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: All Saints Carshalton, Church of England Primary School, 6 Rotherfield Road, Carshalton SM5 3DW

Contact: Chantelle Swaby, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 5010 | Email:  chantelle.swaby@sutton.gov.uk  Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

14.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Amy Haldane, welcomed those present. Councillor Short read a brief statement to the committee regarding the liveable neighbourhoods bid.

15.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

There were no apologies.

16.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

Councillor Whitehead declared a non pecuniary interest regarding agenda items 6, 7, 9 and 10. She advised that she is a Member of Environment & Neighbourhood Committee and also that she is Chair of the public transport liaison group working with Go Sutton and also a member of the task and finish group that developed the Park strategy.

17.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 81 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 25 June 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

18.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team pdf icon PDF 62 KB

A written update on the ward priorities in the local area over the past 3 months.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

A written update on the ward priorities in the local area was published in the minutes for information.

 

Councillor Williams advised that the update did not relate to Carshalton Central. He wished to make the Committee aware that the safer  neighbourhood team in Carshalton central has only one officer currently. He requested that post this meeting he be advised when the team will be brought back to full strength.

19.

Netball Court Petition pdf icon PDF 149 KB

Committee to determine whether they wish to accept the petition for a netball court and whether they wish to also have a change of use of another court to multiuse.

Indicative time: 15 minutes

 

Minutes:

At the invitation of the Chair, the lead petitioner Mairead Agnew, from Carshalton netball team gave a brief presentation regarding the petition to the Committee.

She advised the committee there are 65 women who regularly meet to play netball, and that there are no outside courts available in the borough. The presentation is published with the minutes.

Ian Wolstencroft, Technical Assistant Parks and Open Spaces, briefly responded by presenting the report. He thanked the petitioner for the information shared with the committee.  The report confirmed that there was no funding available within the Parks Service to carry out the requested work.  However, Officers had provided a number of cost options within the report. He highlighted that the petitioner is encouraged to seek external funding should the request to repurpose the courts be agreed.

Following the presentation Members sought clarity on the following points:

Has the Park department investigated any other tennis courts in the area?   The officer confirmed that he had not looked at other parks but  he advised there are other tennis courts in the borough in Stanley Park.

How are other new facilities such as new cricket pitches being funded.  In respect of any future request for public realm funding for this scheme Members suggested that other Local Committees be approached in addition to Carshalton and Clockhouse local committee as the facilities would benefit everyone within the borough. The officer advised the new cricket pitches are being funded by the London Cricket trust .  He advised that usually when facilities are requested Officers try to help petitioners to find external funding.

 

A local resident asked how booking for facilities like this would be charged for and a further query was raised regarding the costs outlined within the report.  The officer advised that if there are facilities in parks they are free to use.  However, he could not guarantee that the council would not charge in the future.  He advised if a booking system is introduced then there tend to be charges introduced.

During debate Members sought clarity on if the decision regarding the petition is to agree to repurpose the existing under used tennis court, and that at this stage no funding is being sought.  The Chair confirmed that funding is not being sought from the Local committee as part of this request, but that once the decision on repurposing of the existing tennis courts is made, the petitioner will approach different external organisations for funding.

Councillor Haldane raised a motion To agree to repurpose two of the tennis courts in Carshalton Park Ruskin Road . This was seconded by Councillor Jake Short. Members moved to vote.

 

RESOLVED:  It be agreed to repurpose two of the tennis courts in Carshalton Park

20.

Neighbourhood Services (Parks) Update pdf icon PDF 3 MB

Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks and Open Spaces to provide an update to the committee on the Park service and the Parks and Open Spaces Strategy.

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Mark Dalzell, Head of Parks and Open Spaces provided a presentation to the committee.

In discussion Members raised issues regarding collection of green bags and street bins not being collected.  Also concerns were raised regarding grass verges not being cut to standard that leaf and fruit fall is not being cleared. 

 

They also sought clarity on the new tree maintenance contract rota and how the public are being encouraged not to drop litter. The officers responded accordingly.

 

Members asked if residents are allowed to prune trees and hedges themselves if they are being a nuisance.  Mark Dalzel advised that any overhanging trees causing safety issues will be dealt with by the Council as a priority and should be reported via the Report It tool.

In respect of hedges residents can cut them back to their boundary.  However with tree pruning residents would need permission from the Council before cutting back.  It was confirmed that a resident is entitled to get a contractor to cut a tree back to the boundary of their property. 

A local resident asked for assurance that none of the Sutton recycling ends up abroad?  The officer advised that there is an audit trail maintained and that a response would be provided post this meeting

 

Residents highlighted the issue of litter in Tweedale Road and asked when it was last swept.  The officer requested that this be reported online via the Report it tool so that it could be investigated. A resident asked why the mens toilets in Grove Park are still not operative.  The officer responded that the toilet facility is included in the lease for the cafe.  However the cafe owner has advised that every time the toilets are left open there are issues. It was confirmed that on request the cafe owner will give the key to members of the public.

Anne Pearcey, the Chair of friends of Oaks Park highlighted that the park strategy is welcome and asked that it should include a section on getting more trees in the borough.  The officer thanked Mrs Pearcey for her comments and her previous written response.

 

A resident asked if dog waste would be placed in a landfill. The officer advised that there are different ways of dealing with different types of waste.  He advised SLWP deal with disposals and can confirm how this is treated post this meeting. 

 

Members asked for the leaf clearing schedule to be made available to them as soon as possible post this meeting.

21.

Sutton Soup

A presentation to the committee on the community fund raising programme.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Minutes:

A presentation on Sutton Soup was provided to the committee for information.

22.

TfL Demand Responsive Bus Trial Update pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Robert Varney, Local Communities and Partnerships, Transport for London, to update the committee on the bus trail ‘Go Sutton’.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

 

Robert Varney from Transport for London provided a presentation to the committee on the Go Sutton bus trial.  The presentation is available within the agenda pack.

 

Councillor Butt asked if the service can be extended to the Clockhouse area.

Mr Varney advised due to the distance and roads in that area the service would be unreliable and the existing area is the finite capacity in the trial.

Members also queried the expectations beyond the trial period and if the area covered can be expanded at the end of 12 month trial. Mr Varney advised it is a 12 month trial and at the end of the trial next year the service will wind down. He advised it is intended as a complimentary service to enhance public transport and that he is working with the borough to look at other bus offerings outside of the Go Sutton trial.

 

Members asked that Robert Varney from Transport for London come back for a further update to the Committee at the end of the trial.

23.

Parking Strategy Update pdf icon PDF 164 KB

Mark Johnson to provide an update to the committee on the progress of the parking strategy within the local area.

Indicative time: 45 minutes

Minutes:

Mark Johnson, Parking Programme Manager, advised that the information on the slides published in the agenda pack had been amended, and that dates published would now be changed.  Residents will be updated once new dates are known.

He highlighted that the majority of this local committee area is in geographical area 2 and a small part is in area 1.  He ran through the three key parts of the consultation process.

The committee was advised that there is a delay in starting geographical area two.  He confirmed residents will get a letter with revised dates of public meetings in due course. 

A local resident Kerynn Fields from Gordon Road advised of the parking issues in her road. Parking Programme Manager, advised that there is a potential scheme for that area.  Ms Fields asked for the website to be updated with that information.  Parking Programme Manager, advised that he would investigate that with the communications team post this meeting.

A resident asked about the initial consultation for area two. She advised that she had not received a letter regarding consultation and that on speaking to her neighbours no letters have been received.  It was confirmed that all postal letters are delivered via Royal mail. The Parking Programme Manager, asked  the resident to  provide her address details to him via email so this can be investigated and the relevant addresses added.

Councillors suggest they call on residents in Gordon Road to provide information on the Parking Strategy.

24.

Public realm projects and neighbourhood grants pdf icon PDF 141 KB

The Locality Lead Officer to present a report to the Committee, which outlines new public realm schemes for approval and recently approved Neighbourhood Grants.

Indicative time: 10 minutes

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chantelle Swaby, Lead Locality Officer presented a report to the committee on Public Realm spending since June 2019.  She provided an update on recently completed schemes, and provide information on the remaining budget. 

 

RESOLVED:

1.    £300 be agreed for the supply and installation of a timber post for the shared path signage in Grove Park to provide both Cycle and pedestrian symbols, from public realm capital.

 

2.    The progress on the public realm schemes in appendix A be noted.

25.

Public questions

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

Minutes:

The questions raised in advance of the meeting have been responded to and published as an appendix to the Agenda.

 

Ray Liffen from Carshalton on the Hill Residents association asked how the equality information requested on each Council Consultation document is used.  Jonathan Williams, Assistant Director, Children's Safeguarding and Social Care, advised he will take this question away and a response will be provided post this meeting

 

A local resident asked how often the streets are supposed to be cleaned and highlighted that Waverley Way, Creighton Road and Banstead Road need to be cleaned.  The resident confirms she has reported these issues via report it.

 

Arthur Spirling asked how often Council Officers inspect these areas.  It was confirmed that a response will be provided post this meeting.

26.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Indicative time: 5 minutes

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

27.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on 3 December 2019 at 7.00pm at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, Banstead Road, Carshalton SM5 3NL.

 

Minutes:

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on 3 December 2019 at 7pm at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, Banstead Road Carshalton SM5 3NL