Agenda and minutes

Strategy and Resources Committee
Monday, 18th July, 2016 7.30 pm

Venue: Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA

Contact: Alexa Coates, Head of Committee and Management Support  Tel: 020 8770 5094 | Email:  alexa.coates@sutton.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

5.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 127 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meetings held on 11 April 2016 and 23 May 2016.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The minutes of the meetings held on 11 April 2016 and 23 May 2016 were approved as a correct record of the meetings and signed by the chair.

6.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors: Manuel Abellan, Tim Crowley and Colin Stears. Councillor Nick Emmerson attended as a substitute member in place of Councillor Stears.

 

7.

Declarations of Interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

8.

Any Items the Chair deems urgent

Minutes:

There were no items the chair deemed urgent.

9.

Petition pdf icon PDF 161 KB

The Committee is to consider a petition submitted under the Council’s petition scheme to the Strategy and Resources Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The committee considered a petition with the following petition prayer:

 

“We the undersigned are residents of Wallington and Beddington, We believe that the London Borough of Sutton has been negligent in its duty of care to Mr X. We demand that the Council takes immediate action to stop any demolition of the Richmond Green Bungalows. We demand that this sheltered accommodation be restored and repaired and made habitable and welcoming for the elderly. We demand an independent enquiry into why the council have tried to demolish homes in a conservation area. The enquiry should also find out why so many of the former residents of the bungalows died shortly after they were relocated. Furthermore, it should investigate the use of misinformation to make the case for the demolition of the bungalows, the treatment of Mr X should also form part of the enquiry.”

 

The Chief Executive reminded members that the specific issue relating to the granting of permission for demolition could not be considered by the Committee, as this related to a matter determined under the planning system (Town and Country Planning Act 1990), reserved to the Council’s Planning Committee.

 

Councillor Nick Mattey, as lead petitioner, addressed the meeting. The chair allowed Cllr Mattey an additional two minutes to speak, in addition to the 5 minutes allowed under the Council’s petition scheme. Cllr Mattey raised the following key points:

 

·          Information relating to risk assessments and method statements and whether the Council’s approach was sufficiently detailed

·          The treatment of elderly and vulnerable residents

·          That he believed there was no genuine need to demolish the buildings.

 

Members asked questions of Cllr Mattey seeking clarification on the key reasons why an inquiry should be commissioned by the Council.

The Monitoring Officer introduced the petition report and outlined the options available to members of the Committee.

 

The Executive Head of Housing and Regeneration responded to the petition on behalf of the Council, in addition to comments made in the report. He raised the following key points:

·          The Council’s experience in reviewing the standard of sheltered accommodation

·          The necessity to re-house residents of Richmond Green

·          The support provided to residents being re-housed.

 

The chair opened the debate to members. Members discussed the evidence presented to the Housing Economy and Business Committee in 2013 when taking the decision to regenerate the site and the Council’s record in successfully re-housing vulnerable residents. Members probed officers on why the decision was in the interest of the health and wellbeing of residents. The Executive Head of Housing and Regeneration re-iterated that this was in relation to the identified flaws in the properties and the need to relocate residents to better homes and facilities. Members questioned how many homes were affected and the layout of homes to which residents were relocated. Officers highlighted that issues around space and accessibility were identified in a 2001 review of sheltered housing, and that the bungalows were not in close proximity to access to public transport.

 

The Chair brought the debate to a  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9.

10.

Prevent Strategy pdf icon PDF 176 KB

The purpose of this report is to agree the Sutton Prevent Strategy 2015/2018 in compliance with the Counter-Terrorism and Security Act 2015.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Committee considered a report which sought approval of the Prevent Strategy.

 

Resolved

 

That the Sutton Prevent Strategy 2015/2018 set out at Appendix A to the report be approved, to satisfy compliance with section 26 of the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015.

 

11.

End of Year Performance and Finance Report 2015/16 pdf icon PDF 415 KB

This report provides an outturn performance summary for 2015/16 with a focus on quarter four (January - March) against the Corporate Plan priorities, reported through the corporate balanced scorecard and the 2015/16 Strategic Commissioning Plan.

 

Appendix G available in Supplemental Agenda

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report which set out the revenue outturn for 2016/16 and the Council’s performance against Corporate Plan priorities, focusing on quarter four.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That the performance against the Corporate Plan indicators be noted.

 

2.    That the outturn position of a net underspend of £730,000 (0.5%), before recommended carry forwards, against an agreed net revenue budget of £148.4, be noted.

 

3.    That the proposed revenue budget carry forwards of £961,000 set out in Appendix D to the report be approved, to be funded from the net underspend and an additional £231,000 from General Fund balances.

 

4.    That the proposed reserve transfers, as set out in Appendix E to the report, be approved.

 

5.    That the utilisation of up to £350,000 from general fund balances for works to Civic Offices and replacement furniture be approved.

 

6.    That the proposed carry forward of £6.855m to the capital programme 2016/17 summarised in Appendix G of the report be approved.

 

7.    That the addition to the capital programme set out in Paragraph 6.25 of the report be approved.

 

12.

Commissioning and Financial Planning 2017/18 to 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 309 KB

This report provides an update on the Council’s medium term financial position in order to inform the commissioning and financial planning round for 2017/18.

 

Appendix C available in Supplemental Agenda

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report outlining the Council’s medium term financial position and setting out proposed savings targets by directorate for 2017/18 to 2019/20

 

Resolved

 

1.    That the Medium Term Financial Forecast to 2019/20 summarised in Appendix A of the report be noted, showing a cumulative budget gap of £17.3m by 2019/20.

 

2.    That the Directorate savings targets set out in Paragraph 9.4 of the report be approved and that it be noted that the savings proposals developed as part of the Smarter Council programme will be brought forward for member decision over the remainder of the 2016/17 financial year.

 

3.    That a revenue allocation of £1.2m for the Sutton Town Centre Masterplan to be funded from the Strategic Priorities Reserve be approved.

 

13.

Performance and Finance Report - Quarter 1 2016/17 pdf icon PDF 257 KB

This report provides an overview of performance and finance during April - June 2016 as reported through the corporate balanced scorecard and financial monitoring arrangements.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report providing an updates on performance and finance for the first quarter of 2016/17.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That performance against Corporate Balanced Scorecard indicators be noted.

 

2.    That the list of indicators to be reported during 2016/17 as part of future performance challenge sessions be approved.

 

3.    That the projected revenue outturn position to be provided via Covalent be noted.

 

4.    That the proposed funding for the bid from the ELENA fund be approved.

 

5.    That the projected capital position to be provided via Covalent be noted.

 

6.    That the capital programme adjustments be approved.

 

14.

LGA Corporate Peer Challenge 2016 Report and Action Plan pdf icon PDF 170 KB

A Local Government Association (LGA) Corporate Peer Challenge team visited Sutton in February 2016.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report relating to LGA peer challenge report and action plan.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That the findings and recommendations of the February 2016 LGA Corporate Peer Challenge, set out at Appendix B to the report, be noted.

 

2.    That the action plan as set out at Appendix A to the report be approved, and updates on progress be received quarterly through the Performance and Finance report, on an exception basis.

 

15.

Delivering the Temporary Accommodation Strategy 2015-18 pdf icon PDF 174 KB

Report will set out an invest to save Business Case for the Committee to agree capital funding investment to enable the procurement of new build temporary accommodation in order to meet rising homeless needs.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report which sought approval for an Invest to Save business case for funding to enable the procurement of new build temporary accommodation.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That investment of up to £2.5m be approved for new build temporary accommodation at the Assembly Walk site to be funded on an invest to save basis.

 

2.    That the parameters and income and expenditure assumptions reflected in the funding model for the above project (set out in Appendix A to the report) become the framework for application to other potential sites for new build temporary accommodation and that authority be delegated to the Strategic Director Environment, Housing and Regeneration in consultation with the Strategic Director Resources, and Lead Member (Chair of the Housing Economy and Business Committee):

(i)            to approve the business case and associated  expenditure for future projects and

(ii)           to appoint the successful tenderer after the appropriate procurement process to deliver the programme

 

3.    That a sum of £100,000 from Invest to Save reserves to be approved to carry out initial feasibility work on HRA garage or other sites for new build temporary accommodation.

 

16.

Public Health – Primary Care Contract Arrangements pdf icon PDF 250 KB

This paper sets out the future contracting options for the provision of key public health programmes delivered in Primary Care settings (GP Practices and Pharmacies) in the London Borough of Sutton.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report seeking approval for the contracting approach for NHS Health Checks and Sexual Health services in GP practices and community pharmacies.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That  Option 3 be approved:

 

?    Integrate the sexual health services contracts delivered in primary care settings such as pharmacies and general practice into the integrated sexual health services (ISHS) contract that was awarded to Chelsea and Westminster NHS Foundation Trust.

 

?    Using a waiver  award NHS Health Check contracts to  General Practice for a further 6 month period (until April 2017)  to give time to develop a commissioning strategy that is aligned  with national and London wide primary care policy.

 

2.    That authority be delegated to the Director of Public Health in consultation with the Lead member to undertake the procurement process and contract award for NHS Health Checks.

 

17.

Shared Service Vehicle with Royal Borough of Kingston pdf icon PDF 196 KB

The purpose of this report is to seek authorisation to continue exploration of a viable delivery model between the London Borough of Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston, from which to deliver current and future shared services.

 

Minutes:

Members considered a report which set out the proposed approach to a shared service vehicle with the Royal Borough of Kingston.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That officers continue to explore the optimum way to manage the shared services between the London Borough of Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston and report back to this Committee.

 

2.    That it be noted that a similar proposal and recommendations were presented to and agreed at the Treasury Committee of the Royal Borough of Kingston on 30 June 2016.

 

18.

Finance Shared Service pdf icon PDF 184 KB

The purpose of this report is to seek authorisation for implementing a Shared Finance Service between the London Borough of Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report which sought approval to enter into a shared finance service with the Royal Borough of Kingston.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That a Shared Finance Service between the London Borough of Sutton and the Royal Borough of Kingston be implemented with a potential implementation date of 1 April 2017.

 

2.    That the Strategic Director of Resources be delegated authority to agree the detailed arrangements for the implementation and operation of the shared service on behalf of the Council.

 

3.    That it be noted a similar proposal and recommendations were presented to and agreed at the Treasury Committee of the Royal Borough of Kingston on 30 June 2016.

 

19.

Education services company governance and financial support pdf icon PDF 237 KB

This report responds to the request of the Children, Family and Education Committee that approval of the arrangements for the governance oversight of the company and any arrangements for financial support of the company be obtained from this Committee.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report which set out the governance arrangements for the education services company following the decision of the Children, Family and Education Committee meeting on 16 June 2016.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That  Sutton Shareholdings Board (SSB) be appointed to perform the Council’s rights and responsibilities as shareholder for the education services company approved to be established by the Children, Family and Education (CFE) Committee on 16th June, with responsibilities including to:

 

a)               protect the Council’s interests;

b)               select a member of the Board to attend general meetings of the company and exercise the Council’s voting rights;

 

2.    That it be approved that the SSB will take on these responsibilities with effect from the date of transfer to the company of the in-scope staff, noting that the Executive Director, People has delegated authority from CFE Committee to exercise these responsibilities on the Council’s behalf in the meantime;

 

3.    That the terms of reference of the SSB be extended to include to act as the Council shareholder board for the education services company;

 

4.    That the matters set out in Appendix A, to the report, be approved as matters to be reserved to shareholders subject to amendments approved by the Executive Director, People, in consultation with the Chair of the Children, Family and Education Committee, following negotiations with academies and maintained schools who are to become owners of the company.

 

5.    That authority be delegated to the Strategic Director, People, in consultation with the Strategic Director, Resources and Chair of the Children, Family and Education Committee, to conclude the shareholders’ agreement with minority shareholders;

 

6.    That authority be delegated to the Strategic Director, Resources to approve loan finance to the company up to a limit of £600,000, subject to such finance arrangements not contravening the rules on state aid, and subject to a reasonable repayment plan.

 

20.

Appointments to Outside Bodies pdf icon PDF 153 KB

The purpose of this report is to review and make appointments to outside bodies.

 

Appendix A to follow

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Members considered a report to review and make appointments to outside bodies.

 

Resolved

 

1.    That the list of outside bodies outside bodies and the names of those appointed be agreed as set out in Appendix A to the report

 

 

2.    That authority be delegated to the Monitoring Officer to authorise the appointments of named representatives which are still to be confirmed, as set out in Appendix A to the report.