Agenda and minutes

Strategy and Resources Committee
Monday, 14th October, 2019 7.30 pm

Venue: Civic Offices, St Nicholas Way, Sutton SM1 1EA

Contact: Alexa Coates, Head of Committee and Management Support  Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

15.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Ruth Dombey, welcomed those present.

16.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Jayne McCoy and Holly Ramsey with Councillors Chris Williams and James McDermott-Hill attending as substitutes.

17.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

18.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 8 July 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 8 July 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

19.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

20.

Performance and Finance Report - Quarter 2 2019/20 pdf icon PDF 1 MB

This report provides an overview of council performance and finance during April - August 2019

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Jessica Crowe, Assistant Director - Customers, Commissioning and Governance and Richard Simpson, Strategic Director of Resources introduced the report. The Leader, thanked the Assistant Director for her hard work and contribution to the Council.

 

Members discussed the award of the contract for the domestic abuse specialist service,  progress of the Making Informed Choices workshops, the level of apprentices employed by the Council, the plans for improved transport at the London Cancer hub site, trends in relation to ombudsmen complaints and freedom of information complaints, the impact of the increased interest rate for the Public Works Loan Board (PWLB), the pilot of use of the Library as the Council’s reception and the timelines for the secondary school proposed on the Rosehill site.

 

RESOLVED:

 

  1. That the Corporate Risk Register set out at Appendix A be noted.

 

  1. That the Council’s progress between April and August 2019 against the 2019/20 Ambitious for Sutton Plan (Appendix B) and the key achievements be noted.

 

  1. That the 2019/20 Quarter 2 projected revenue and capital outturn positions be noted.

 

  1. That the 2019/20 capital programme adjustments as set out in Appendix C be approved.

 

  1. That the list of capital schemes approved through delegated authority since outturn 2018/19 as shown in Appendix D be noted.

 

  1. That the update on the spending round and its potential impact on the MTFP be noted.

 

21.

Corporate Property Asset Management Annual Report pdf icon PDF 659 KB

To report on progress with delivery of the Property Asset Management Strategy 2015/19 and on performance of the Investment Property Portfolio.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Richard Simpson, Strategic Director of Resources introduced the report.

Members discussed the valuation of assets, the spread of risk in the Investment Property Portfolio (IPP) and the regeneration property acquisition guidelines.

 

RESOLVED:

  1. To note the good progress that has been made in implementing the corporate asset management strategy 2015 - 2019;

 

  1. To note the strong performance of the Investment Property Portfolio;

 

  1. To approve the Regeneration Property Acquisition guidelines attached at Appendix C;

 

  1. To agree that any property acquisitions for Regeneration purposes follow the same approval route as the IPP once the Regeneration Property Acquisition guidelines attached as Appendix C to this report have been followed.

 

22.

Hill House, Bishopsford Road - Centre Management Arrangements pdf icon PDF 511 KB

To approve management arrangements for Hill House Community Centre

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Chris Rhodes, Head of Asset Management introduced the report. The Chair invited Alison Navarro, Chief Executive of Community Action Sutton to explain the plans to develop a community hub at Hill House.

Members discussed the profile of community organisations interested in the community hub, the need for an extension to develop the community hub and the impact on existing users of the space.

 

RESOLVED:

 

  1. That the grant of a short-term tenancy of Hill House to Community Action Sutton as an interim measure be noted;

 

  1. That the proposal by Community Action Sutton to take over management of Hill House and to set up a community organisation by April 2021 to which Community Action Sutton will transfer responsibility for the centre be approved;

 

  1. That the grant of a further lease to Community Action Sutton and thereafter to a new community organisation, as described in this report and on terms to be negotiated by the Assistant Director - Assets, in consultation with the Lead Member for Resources and the Lead Member for the Voluntary Sector be approved

 

23.

Update on The Hamptons Estate fire and subsequent recovery process pdf icon PDF 137 KB

Report to follow

Minutes:

Matt Clubb, Assistant Director - Environment and Community Safety introduced the report.

 

The Leader thanked Officers for the assistance given to local residents in response to the emergency and members commented on the role played by the residents association in supporting the community.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the contents of the report be noted.

 

24.

Preparedness for a no-deal Brexit pdf icon PDF 108 KB

Report to follow

Minutes:

 

Helen Bailey, Chief Executive introduced the report.

 

In response to questions the Chief Executive advised that it was clear the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) was in contact with hospitals and Clinical Commissioning Groups about the availability of medicines and medical products and that the role of the Council was the same as in any other emergency if a no-deal Brexit resulted in disruption in the community.

 

RESOLVED:

 

That the report be noted

 

25.

Sutton Council Policy on Heathrow Airport Expansion pdf icon PDF 159 KB

Report to follow

Additional documents:

Minutes:

 

Phil Crockford, Principal Strategic Transport Planner, introduced the report. 

 

Members discussed the prospect of Heathrow organising a public meeting in the borough, the purpose of the ‘no 3rd runway coalition’ and the impact on surface traffic.

 

RESOLVED:

  1. To reconfirm the Council’s position in relation to the potential third runway at London Heathrow.  

 

  1. To agree to join the ‘No 3rd Runway Coalition’.