Agenda and draft minutes

Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee
Thursday, 27th June, 2019 7.00 pm, MOVED

Venue: North Cheam Sports and Social Club, 658 London Road, North Cheam, Sutton SM3 9BY

Contact: Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 6020 | Email:  paul.brockwell@sutton.gov.uk  Cathy Hayward, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Note: This meeting was moved from 4 July 2019. 

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and Introductions

Opening of the Local Committee meeting.

 

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Tom Drummond welcomed attendees to the meeting, and informed residents there is a list of open consultations which are being carried out by the council and information about the parking strategy which will commence in the Local Committee area in the autumn on the tables.

 

Councillor Mc Dermott Hill drew attention to the boundary commision review which is taking place and that information is available on the Council’s website. 

 

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Ryan Stoneman and Param Nandha.

 

3.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

4.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 78 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 25 April 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 25 April 2019 be signed and agreed as a correct record.

 

5.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team pdf icon PDF 7 MB

An update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

Minutes:

PC Andy D’Voreaux and Sgt Drew Lovell provided a verbal update of the priorities in the area.

 

The PC informed members and residents that if they would like to take part in a ‘speed watch’ they could contact the police, and should inform the police of areas of concern where speed watch would be considered.

 

Attendees were encouraged to inform the police of incidents in the area rather than just posting them on social media and requested they ask others to do the same.

 

In discussion the PC explained that those aged over 14 years old should not cycle on pavements, but that the police exercise discretion for example when an adult is cycling with a child.  

 

The PC informed that the email address for the team had altered and the new address was available on the presentation.  

 

6.

Public Question Time pdf icon PDF 101 KB

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative time: 25 minutes

 

Minutes:

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions, and those who had submitted and received a response to a question outside of the meeting (published as an addendum to the agenda) were invited to ask a supplementary question.

 

Question 1 - Michael Freter asked if any funding streams are available for potential electric vehicle charging points in The Hamptons to be installed in visitors spaces, Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer agreed to investigate.

 

Question 2 and 3 - Andrew Behan - Local resident - Members agreed that they would write to the bodies responsible for the missing/damaged signs if necessary and would investigate the reasons for delays to repairs being completed.

 

Question 4 - Angela Marriott - local resident - Members mentioned that the parking consultation will start in this local committee area in the autumn, and that parking will be an agenda item at the next meeting of the committee where discussions can be had. 

 

Question 5 -  Angela Marriott - local resident asked if there is a possibility of ‘no idling’ signs as seen in other parts of the borough and signs similar to those seen on school railings in other areas of the country could be installed in the Worcester Park area. The Locality Lead Officer agreed to investigate and asked residents to suggest locations.

 

7.

Update on 2019/20 Local Implementation Plan schemes pdf icon PDF 1 MB

A presentation to provide update on the highway schemes that have funding this financial year in this committee area.

 

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Lynn Robinson, Senior Engineer provided the presentation. 

 

A local resident asked about the width of the bays in the recent works in Central Road and felt that the width was too narrow, therefore vehicles using the main carriageway could not get past. The Senior Engineer explained that the works are not yet completed, and that the works had been designed according to regulations. The new bays had been provided so lengths of double yellow lines could be implemented to remove parking from the main flow of traffic. It was mentioned that there would be a review and monitoring of the works to the area once completed.

 

The existing phasing of the traffic lights at the Green Lane junction were discussed. The senior engineer had been in contact with TfL and who had acknowledged there may be a problem in the off-peak times. Councillors also agreed to contact TfL about the issue.  The Senior Engineer agreed to contact TfL to confirm the reason for the traffic lights at the exit to the pub on this junction and explained that the modelling of the junction is being completed at the moment, options to improve the phasing will be looked at under the bus priority scheme.     

 

Members explained that they had contacted officers about a parking scheme for Kingsmead Avenue.

 

The Senior Engineer agreed to investigate the possibility of a left turn filter at the A217 / Stayton Road / Tesco junction.

 

8.

2020/21 Local Implementation Plan Schemes pdf icon PDF 158 KB

This report outlines the proposed schemes for inclusion in the 2020/21 bid to Transport for London (TfL) in the Cheam North and Worcester Park Area. These schemes will be included, along with other schemes from the five other local committees, to form the Borough’s annual submission.

 

 

Indicative timing: 10 minutes

 

 

Minutes:

Lynn Robinson, presented the report. 

 

The Senior Engineer explained the schemes being put forward. Members and attendees noted there has been parking displacement since restrictions had been installed on Kimpton Industrial Park and that the bus is now not always able to stop in Kimpton Road so that passengers can alight safety so could this be included in the Kimpton Industrial Park scheme or parking strategy.

 

Resolved:  

 

that the proposed schemes, as listed in the table in paragraph 4.7 of the report be supported and it be agreed they be included in the submission to TfL in November 2019 for the 2020/21 programme.

 

9.

Adult Social Care in Sutton pdf icon PDF 143 KB

An update to residents on how vulnerable residents in Sutton are supported and addressing key priorities.

 

Indicative timing: 30 minutes

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Lynne Brown, Acting Head of Service: Carshalton and Wallington Localities, Hospitals and Reablement provided the presentation.

 

The Acting Head of Service: Carshalton and Wallington Localities, Hospitals and Reablement explained the role of the START re enablement team. In response to a question from a resident she confirmed that if there is a breakdown in a person’s care arrangements the Council is responsible and that the START team would be able to respond within 2 hours between 7am and 11pm 365 days per year and that outside of these hours the Emergency Duty Social worker can be contacted on 8770 5000.

 

A residents asked about funding for adult social care and council tax rises. Members mentioned the current Green paper progressing through parliament.  The Acting Head of Service: Carshalton and Wallington Localities, Hospitals and Reablement explained that the threshold for savings linked to payments for adult social care is currently £23.5k irrespective of housing tenure.

 

10.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood Grants pdf icon PDF 160 KB

This report contains information on Public Realm spending since 25 April 2019, details any new requests for Public Realm funding and confirms available budgets for 2019/20.

 

Indicative time: 20 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer presented the report.

 

The Locality Lead Officer encouraged groups to apply for grants, noting that applications do not have to be linked to specific events.

 

Members discussed that the grants for improvements to playgrounds should consider the addition of accessible equipment. The replacement of the current equipment being considered for approval is required for safety reasons, some of the current equipment is unusable.

 

Ward councillors agreed they would suggest sites for accessible equipment and ask the Locality Lead Officer to investigate further.   

 

In respect of recommendation 4, Members dissented on the need for additional air quality monitoring equipment in Central Road. They drew attention to the fact that current data collecting equipment has shown air quality in the area is poor and expressed a view that spend should be improving the air quality not on more monitoring equipment. However in debate other members believed that further monitoring equipment would provide more accurate data, which could assist lobbying the London Mayor. 

 

All members agreed there is a need to lobby the London Mayor about air quality concerns in the Central Road area.

 

Resolved that:

 

1.            £2,510 for a new roundabout for Sutton Common Park playground from Public Realm Capital be approved.

 

2.             £2,750 for a new seesaw for Cuddington Recreation Ground from Public Realm Capital be approved.

 

3.            £1,000 for two new street trees in Lynwood Drive from Public Realm Revenue be approved.

 

4.            £2,000 for further Central Road air quality monitoring from the Local Transport Fund be approved.

 

5.            £8,000 for Sutton Common Road Glenthorne School Crossing improvements from the Local Transport Fund be approved.

 

6.            £6,889 for Dorchester Road, Dorchester School reduce vehicle scheme from the Local Transport Fun be approved.

 

11.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

12.

Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting of the Cheam North and Worcester Park Local Committee will take place on 26 September 2019.

Minutes:

The next meeting is on 26 September 2019.