Agenda and draft minutes

Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee
Tuesday, 16th October, 2018 7.00 pm

Venue: Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church, Banstead Rd, Sutton, Carshalton SM5 3NL, UK

Contact: Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer  Tel.: 020 8770 4990, Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Link: audio Recording

Items
No. Item

13.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The chair welcomed those present, and read the purdah statement.

14.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Crowley.

 

15.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 41 KB

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

16.

Minutes of last meeting pdf icon PDF 93 KB

To approve as a correct record the Minutes of the meeting held on 26 June 2018.

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the previous meeting of 26 June 2018 be approved as an accurate record and signed by the Chair.

 

17.

Update from the Safer Neighbourhood Team

The Safer Neighbourhood team will provide an update on the three ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues.

 

Indicative timing: 10 minutes

Minutes:

Sergeant Peter Nicholson provided an update on the ward priorities in the area, and community safety issues. He advised:

 

  • There has been a reduction in theft from motor vehicles in Carshalton Central, and there has been a reduction in burglary in Carshalton and Clockhouse.
  • The Committee was advised that the monthly crime figures from the safer neighbourhood team would be made available to this committee, going forward.
  • It was confirmed there will be a response team retained in Sutton to respond to 999 calls. The team structure will remain unchanged, Carshalton Central will retain the same officers and Carshalton South will get one new officer.

 

Councillor Butt asked if there had been any known instances of vulnerable people being forced by drug dealers to help them to distribute drugs within this area.  The officer confirmed that this had not happened in this local committee area.

 

A local resident asked about use of resources and how often Police Officers from this area are called away to cover other areas. The officer confirmed this is only required on occasion when needed and this is reciprocated from other wards when needed in this area.


Alison Hudson from Carshalton Beeches Residents Association asked what will happen with Sutton police station. The Officer confirmed that his will be retained as is, apart from the custody suite as going forward prisoners will be  detained at Croydon Police station. 

 

18.

Safer Parks Team update

Safer Parks team Officers Martyn Turner and Parama Cunden  will provide an update on local ward park priorities.

 

Indicative timing:  20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Safer Parks team Officer Martyn Turner provided an update on local ward park priorities. He advised that there are three park teams in Sutton covering 80 Open spaces in the borough.  

 

Members asked if they or Members of the public wished to report non-emergency, anti-social behaviour issues, what contact number should be used.  The officer advised the number for the park police is 0208 721 2268.

 

Steve Quayle from Neighbourhood Watch asked if there are any plans to reduce the Parks team and the officer responded that it is not envisaged that that the team will change.  

 

Councillor Short asked for more information on the removal process for traveller incursions.  The Officer responded accordingly and highlighted the new injunction which is in place and proving successful.

 

19.

Improving Customer Service pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Rebecca Peck, Head of Customer Experience, will provide the committee with information on the Councils online services for customers.

 

Indicative timing:  25 minutes

Minutes:

Rebecca Peck, Head of Customer Experience, provided the committee with information on the Councils online services for customers and shared her presentation which has been published online. The key points highlighted were:

 

  • Sutton and Kingston have joined their customer service offering.
  • The Council is keen to involve residents on the design service work and recognise that this cant be one size fits all approach.  
  • Feedback forms were left for residents to complete after the meeting.
  • Residents and local groups were asked to let  Head of Customer Experience, know, if they are willing to work jointly with the Council to help to improve services. If so to please add their contact details to the feedback form.

 

The Chair reminded residents that Sutton Council deliver over 800 types of services every day, and highlighted the range of issues that are being dealt with.  

Issues highlighted by residents were:

  • Issue in getting responses and updates once an issue had been reported on line. Some categories are not available on the “report it tool” i.e. missing green bag collections.
  • Long call waiting time to seek help via phone.
  • Easier navigation of the website and less clicks needed to improve the usability of the website
  • Long queues at the enquiry desk in Civic centre.

 

20.

Appointment of Community Representatives

An application for the appointment of a Community Representative has been received.

 

It is recommended that the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local committee appoint Ms Alison Hudson to represent Carshalton Beeches Resident’s Association.

 

Indicative timing:  5 minutes

 

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that
Ms Alison Hudson be appointed to represent Carshalton Beeches Residents Association, on the Carshalton and Clockhouse Local Committee. 

 

21.

Community Representative Update

An update on recent and future activities and events of Local Committee community organisations.

 

Indicative timing:  20 minutes

 

Minutes:

An update on recent and future, activities and events of Local Committee community organisations, was provided by the Community Representatives

 

The Chair asked if Community Representatives would welcome an update from Sutton Community Action group at a future meeting, to give information on  groups of volunteers who may be able to help them.  It was confirmed this would be welcomed.

 

 The committee were advised of the following events and updates:

·         The Yule feast event on 7 November.

·         A number of groups are in the process of planting bulbs to improve the local amenity.

·         Friends of Honeywood museum thanked the committee for funding for their event in July and advised that Honeywood will be part of Frost Fair on Saturday 1 December.

·         Friends of the Water Tower have a Christmas event on 7 December.

 

22.

Public Realm Projects and Neighbourhood grants pdf icon PDF 107 KB

This report contains information on Public Realm spending since June 2018, details any new requests for Public Realm funding and confirms the available budgets for 2018/19.

 

 

Indicative timing:  25 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The Lead Locality Officer presented the report on Public Realm spending since June 2018, and confirmed the available budgets for 2018/19.  

 

Regarding scheme CC/1718.13, Beeches Ave studs, to improve the boundary definition between the parking area and the public highway.  An update was provided by the Highways officer Hitesh Wadher accordingly, and he confirmed this is expected to be completed before the end of this year.

 

Councillor Butt requested an update regarding Woodmansterne Road Speed restrictions . The officer confirmed the fence which the signage had been attached to had been removed due to damage, and that there are no plans to replace this.

 

The Lead Locality Officer provided an update on two schemes where cost of completing these had increased since the report was published.  The committee were advised that the cost of the restoration of the Wrythe Recreation Ground water fountain had increase due to the redesign which will include a new polycarbonate glass bowl coverings, taps and deep cleaning of the stone work. This resulted in an increased total cost of £1750.  The Chair motioned that the increased cost should be covered and this was seconded by Councillor Short.

 

The Committee were also advised that in respect of the scheme for tree planting within the Carshalton South Ward area the number of trees had been increase from 4 to 5, resulting in an increased  total cost of £935. The chair motioned that the increased cost as detailed below should be covered and this was seconded by Councillor Butt

 

Resolved: that
 

  1. Funding for cosmetic restoration of the Wrythe Recreation Ground water fountain for £1750 from Public Realm capital be approved, this is to cover the cost of the new polycarbonate glass bowl coverings, taps and deep cleaning of the stonework, from Public Realm Capital.

 

2.            The addition of four flower baskets for North Street commercial area in the Carshalton Central ward, as part of the annual hanging basket programme for £368, from Public Realm revenue be approved.

 

3.            The supply and installation of by-law notice boards for 11 (eleven) Carshalton Central ward park entrances for £906 from Public Realm capital be approved.

 

4.            The supply and installation of by-law notice boards for seven Carshalton South and Clock House ward park entrances for £567 from Public Realm capital be approved.

 

5.            The supply and installation of one new litter bin with Wrythe Recreation ground for £415 from Public Realm capital be approved.

 

6.            The highway improvements for Banstead Road/Prior Ave for £10,982 from London Transport Fund be approved.

 

7.            The tree planting within five verge locations within the Carshalton South ward for £935 from Public Realm revenue be approved.

 

8.            The progress of the Public Realm schemes listed in Appendix A. was noted.

 

23.

Public Question Time

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

 

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 working days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

 

Indicative timing:  20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Madeline Nice- local resident highlighted to the Committee that public bins are often left unemptied and overflowing, and also asked how often street cleaners should clean the streets.  Councillor Butt also asked that the Committee be provided with the street cleaning schedule, and that the contractor Veolia should be invited to attend a future meeting.  The Chair agreed that the service has deteriorated and will ask that the schedule of cleaning be provided and that Matt Clubb Assistant Director of Environment Commissioning, and a Veolia representative should please be invited to address this committee at a future meeting.

 

Arthur Spirling from Carshalton Fields Residents’ group asked for a response on his previous question regarding what fees have been withheld from Volia due to poor service. Councillor Williams advised that Sutton has regularly withheld up to 10% of money due to Veolia as they have not met the terms of the contract.  

 

A local resident requested information on the Silent Soldier statues.  The Lead Locality Officer advised that those funded from public realm budget will go on display again in the next few weeks.  Councillor Butt asked when  poppies will be displayed by the Council.  The Lead Locality Officer responded that the Poppies were purchased in 2014, and were given to community groups to put back up in their areas.  However none of the community reps in the audience had any poppies. The Lead Locality Officer agreed to look into if any new poppies can be purchased for this year.

 

24.

Any urgent items brought forward at the discretion of the Chair

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972.

 

Minutes:

There were no urgent items.

 

25.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the Carshalton & Clockhouse Local Committee will take place on 15 January 2019 at 7pm at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church.

Minutes:

The next meeting of the Carshalton & Clockhouse Local Committee will take place on 15 January 2019 at 7pm at Carshalton Beeches Baptist Church.