Agenda and minutes

Sutton Local Committee
Thursday, 6th June, 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Holy Family Church Hall, Sorrento Road, Surrey, SM1 1QU

Contact: Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 6020 | Email:  paul.brockwell@sutton.gov.uk  Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Ali Mirhashem welcomed those present.

 

In recognition of the 75th Anniversary of the D Day landings a one minute silence was held.

 

2.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

 

There were no apologies for absence.

.

3.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

 

4.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 72 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 28 March 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

 

5.

Public questions pdf icon PDF 92 KB

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative timing: 20 minutes

 

Minutes:

The Chair referred to the public question and the answer provided, published as an addendum to the agenda.

A supplementary question was asked by Andrew Behan, local resident, who referred to  defective weight limit signs in Gibson Road, Sherwood Park Road and Sutton Common Road and queried the timescale for completion of work so all signs are correctly displayed. Councillor Steve Penneck reported that Councillors and Officers are working with TfL to resolve the issue, and agreed to keep Mr Behan updated with progress.

A local resident requested for clarity about the times of the restrictions for parking on the yellow lines in Rectory Road. Highways Officers agreed to provide the information to the resident.

An attendee of the meeting asked why the suggested traffic calming measures in Tate Road and Western Road had been abandoned, and suggested that the route was used by children attending various schools in the area, not only Homefield School. Members confirmed the requirement that local residents be consulted, and their views considered. Councillor Kevin Burke agreed to meet the residents outside of the meeting to discuss the issue further.

A local resident enquired about the policy regarding bins left on pavements, and the responsibility if there were an accident, reporting that in some roads it is difficult for those with pushchairs and mobility scooters to get along the pavement. Members agreed to provide a response.

Residents asked about the process for the expected planning application for a school on the Rosehill site and if residents would be able to review the suggested plans. Members explained that ward Councillors had been in contact with Planning Officers who have received revised plans, and that a planning application is expected shortly, with a suggestion (not confirmed) that this will be presented to the Planning committee in September. Councillors have been in contact with the applicant, and support the suggestion the applicant arranges engagement sessions which residents are able to attend.

In discussion residents and Members noted concerns about the signage to Benhilton Gardens, a no through road, as large vehicles have recently been seen in the road having to make U turns.

A local resident asked what the council have done about the number of boarded and vacant properties in the High Street, in order to get them back into use, including for ‘meanwhile use’. Members reported that the RBS building will be opened as ‘Sound Lounge’. However, that if the Council do not own a building they can not make, but only encourage, owners bring the buildings into use.

 

 

 

 

6.

Draft Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan Consultation pdf icon PDF 1 MB

A presentation on the Draft Sutton Town Centre Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Plan, explain the consultation arrangements and take questions.

 

Indicative timing: 30 minutes

 

Minutes:

Duncan Clarke, Strategic Planning Manager provided a presentation.

 

In discussion members and officers drew attention the preserved upper levels of the shop fronts in the High Street, explaining there are guidelines in place to retain the upper levels and improve the lower levels.  

 

7.

Parking Strategy update for the Sutton Local Area, the Sutton Central, Sutton North and Sutton West wards inclusive. pdf icon PDF 121 KB

Feedback from Highways Officers following the second phase of informal consultations conducted with residents in the Sutton Local Committee area.

 

Indicative timing: 60 minutes

Minutes:

Mark Johnson, Parking Programme Manager provided the presentation and drew attention to the engagement event 27 June at the Sutton Central Library at which residents can look at proposals for roads in Sutton West, Sutton North and Sutton Central wards and speak to Officers and Councillors.

 

The Parking Programme Manager explained that the report - Parking Strategy Progress to the Environment and Neighbourhoods Committee will be published to the Council’s website on Friday 7 June and confirmed the report would include a recommendation to that Committee regarding the parking arrangements for N1 vans.

 

The meeting adjourned at 8.14pm for attendees to view the maps and documents displayed, and speak to ward Councillors and Officers.

 

The meeting reconvened at 8.38pm

 

8.

Public realm projects and neighbourhood grants pdf icon PDF 134 KB

The Locality Lead Officer to deliver a report on the public realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the committee and remind committee members of new neighbourhood grant schemes agreed through delegated decision.

Indicative timing: 15 Minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer presented the report.

 

There were no further questions.

 

RESOLVED: that

 

  1. £364 for a planting scheme in Quarry Park from Public Realm Revenue be approved.

 

2.   £16,505 for Collingwood Road/Robin Hood Lane junction safety    improvements from the Local Transport Fund be approved.

 

3.   £25,000 for the refurbishment of the Rosehill Park Playground from Public Realm Capital be approved.

 

9.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

 

Members thanked Councillor Marlene Heron for her work as Chair of the Committee and the support she had provided to Councillors new to their role over the past 8 years.

 

10.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on 12 September 2019 at 7pm.

 

Minutes:

 

The next meeting was confirmed to take place on 12 September 2019.