Agenda and draft minutes

Sutton Local Committee
Thursday, 27th February, 2020 7.00 pm

Venue: Holy Family Church Hall Sorrento Road, 9 The Green, Sutton, SM1 1QT

Contact: Paul Brockwell, Locality Lead Officer, Tel: 020 8770 6020 | Email:  paul.brockwell@sutton.gov.uk  Sharon Major, Committee Services Officer, Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email:  committeeservices@sutton.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

23.

Welcome and introductions

Minutes:

The Chair, Councillor Ali Mirhashem, welcomed those present.

24.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Steve Penneck.

25.

Declarations of interest

Minutes:

There were no declarations of interest.

26.

Minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2019.

Minutes:

RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 12 September 2019 be agreed as an accurate record.

27.

Climate Emergency pdf icon PDF 981 KB

Head of Environment Strategy, Jennifer Sibley to update the local Committee on the Climate Emergency Plan with a brief presentation followed by a breakout session that will seek the views of local residents.

Indicative time: 30 minutes

 

 

 

Minutes:

Jennifer Sibley, the Acting Head of Environment Strategy, provided a presentation to the local committee on the Climate Emergency Plan. This was followed by a breakout session to gather the views of local residents. 

The Acting Head of Environment Strategy highlighted the aim to work towards achieving net zero carbon emissions. She highlighted the likely impacts of not acting to reduce carbon emissions which could affect residents of Sutton in the following ways: 

  • An increased risk of surface water flooding, 
  • An increase in deaths due to extreme heat and cold 
  • Concern that water reserves could be impacted by climate change. 

The committee was advised that Sutton Council is responsible for 3% of the overall carbon emissions within the borough and the actions the Council can take to reduce their carbon emissions. Residents were asked for their views on the actions the council can undertake and which should be prioritised; as well as addressing barriers to taking action on climate change. Following the engagement session residents were thanked for putting forward their ideas to influence the Council's plan and were encouraged to make a pledge before they leave the meeting about changes they would like to make personally. The committee were advised of other events taking place in the borough and also asked to complete the online survey. Once finalised the Council action plan will be published on the Council website from June 2020

 

28.

Public questions

This item is an opportunity for members of the public to raise points or questions about local issues that are not already on the agenda.

If you wish to submit a question prior to the meeting, please send it to localcommittees@sutton.gov.uk at least 5 workings days in advance and we will endeavour to obtain a written response for the meeting. 

Please be aware your question and name will be published in the minutes of the meeting.

Indicative time: 20 minutes

 

Minutes:

Residents at the meeting were invited to ask questions, and those that had submitted and received a response to a question in advance of the meeting (Published as an addendum to the agenda were invited to ask a supplementary question. 

Simon Mareham, a local resident, asked about the future of the Go Sutton Bus. Councillor Dombey responded that the trial period had been successful.Committee were advised that Members would like to  request that the service be extended to increase the geographic coverage of the service for example for it to cover routes to other transport links such asd East Croydon station and Morden station to help people access other public transport. Another local resident commented that there is not sufficient busses available at peak times and Officers were asked to find  out if the data is being collected on how many people request a bus but are unable to get one in peak times so that can be taken into consideration when the Council asks TFL to extend the trial and to make the service permanent. . 

Councillor Gray advised the meeting that she had been advised that the trial had been extended until August.

A local resident asked if Local committee meetings would continue. Members responded that Local committee meetings are important and there had been discussion on making the meetings more accessible to more people. It was confirmed that the plan is to continue these local meetings. and to consider various formats for them. 

A local resident commented that he has not seen any police patrols recently.  Paul Brockwell, the locality lead officer advised that Safer Neighbourhood team are understaffed at present but he will raise the residents concern with the team.

 

29.

Manor Park Green Flag and In Bloom Award pdf icon PDF 1 MB

A feature on the successful Green Flag and In Bloom awards to Manor Park to demonstrate what can be achieved working in partnership with London Borough of Sutton, idverde and the local committees.

Indicative time: 30 minutes

Minutes:

 Bill Wyatt, Technical Services Manager, delivered a presentation to the local committee on the successful Green Flag Award and London In Bloom for Manor Park.  He advised the committee that Beddington Park received a Gold award this year and Manor Park received a silver gilt award. The committee was advised that the Council received very positive feedback from judges. 


Anna Burke, Chair of Manor Park Friends Group, gave a presentation to the committee about the work of the Friends group to promote the park and help residents to look after it.  She highlighted the funding for tree planting from Mayors greener city fund and funding from the Local committee and also a contribution from social orchards. She thanked people in the community for their contribution to planting and providing new trees for the park. She highlighted that there will be an opening ceremony in May to show the new areas that have been planted. She also advised the committee that there will be a summer festival on 16 August providing music and community art activities to local residents.

30.

The Sound Lounge pdf icon PDF 2 MB

Singer – songwriter Hannah White and her musician husband Keiron Marshall will brief the committee on their plans for a brand new incarnation of the Sound Lounge – the grass roots music venue and community hub which has been a major success in other boroughs and is now coming to the London Borough of Sutton

Indicative time: 30 minutes

 

Minutes:

Hannah White and Keiron Marshall from the Sound Lounge gave a presentation to the committee about the plans for the Sound Lounge and services that it will offer to the local community. They advised that the venue will open in May or June this year. The venue capacity is 200 to 250 at full capacity the events will be seated and inclusive. During the day the space will be used to run a community programme supporting the boroughs most vulnerable people. They will also provide learning and training opportunities and an opportunity to work towards qualifications for young people.   In addition the space is to be used for members of the community to get together to help to tackle social isolation. 

Councillor Dombey left the meeting at 8.30.

 

31.

Public realm projects and neighbourhood grants pdf icon PDF 119 KB

The Locality Lead Officer, Paul Brockwell,  to deliver a report on the public realm budget, introduce new schemes for consideration by the committee and remind committee members of new neighbourhood grant schemes agreed through delegated decision.

Indicative time: 15 minutes

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Paul Brockwell, Lead locality Officer delivered a report to the Committee. He highlighted the community grants that are available which groups can use to request funds to support their activities

RESOLVED: 

  1. £1,500 be approved for an inclusive picnic table in Seears Park from Public Realm Capital.
  2. £635 be approved  for an Interpretation Board for Manor Park from Public Realm Capital
  3. £7,704 be approved for local committee floral displays earmarked funding for 2020/21 Public Realm Revenue (Subject to funding being available from Public Realm following approval of budgets at full Council in March 2020.)
  4. £1,515 be approved for Sutton High Street Festive Lights earmarked funding for 2020/21 Public Realm Revenue (Subject to funding being available from Public Realm following approval of budgets at full Council in March 2020.)
  5. £2,974 be approved to recycle Public Realm Capital funding to be added back to the Local Committee budget (detailed in Appendix A, Section 4)

The Chair thanked Paul Brockwell for his work on delivering projects.

 

32.

Any urgent business

To consider any items which, in the view of the Chair, should be dealt with as a matter of urgency because of special circumstances (in accordance with S100B(4) of the Local Government Act 1972).

Minutes:

There was no urgent business.

33.

Date of next meeting

The next meeting of the local committee will take place on a date and venue to be confirmed.

 

Minutes:

The date of the next committee is likely to be in June 2020, at a venue to be confirmed. 

 

The meeting ended at 8.45pm