Full Council has a number of specific functions allocated to it by statute. These include:
· approving the Council’s policy framework
· approving the Council’s budget
· adopting and changing the Council’s Constitution
All functions of the Full Council are set out below:-
· To adopt the Constitution.
· To approve or adopt a policy framework.
· To make decisions about matters for which Committees are responsible, which are covered by the policy framework or the budget, where a Committee intends to take a decision that is not in accordance with the framework and outside the scope agreed for in-year modifications.
· To elect the Leader of the Council.
· To elect the Mayor.
· To confirm the appointment of the Head of Paid Service.
· To appoint the Chairs of committees.
· To agree the level of Council Tax and budget including general fund gross expenditure, income and net expenditure for a financial year, on the recommendation of Strategy and Resources Committee.
· To make, amend, revoke or re-enact bye-laws under any enactment, on the recommendation of the appropriate committee.
· To allocate seats to party groups and appoint committees, panels and forums (except Education Appeals Panels).
· To allocate functions and define duties and powers of committees, on the recommendation of Strategy and Resources Committee.
· To promote, adopt or oppose private legislation and Parliamentary Bills on the recommendation of Strategy and Resources Committee.
· To approve the holding of a Council Lottery.
· To amend, revoke or add to Standing Orders or Financial Regulations.
· To approve the scheme of delegations to officers.
· To adopt annually a Members’ Allowances Scheme.
· To divide the constituency into polling districts at general elections and divide electoral divisions into polling districts at local government elections.
· To appoint an Electoral Registration Officer and Returning Officer.
· To submit proposals to the Secretary of State for an order under Section 10 of the Representation of The People Act 2000 (Pilot Schemes for Local Elections).
· To change the name of the Borough.
· To confer the title of Honorary Alderman or to admit a person to be an Honorary Freeman.
· To authorise applications to the Secretary of State for the transfer of housing land and applications to join the annual disposals programme. (Large Scale Stock Transfers).
· To agree all other aspects of the budget including the capital programme and housing revenue account estimates.
Support officer: Alexa Coates, Head of Committee and Management Support. Tel: 020 8770 4990 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
St. Nicholas Way
Phone: 020 8770 4990
Web site: http://www.sutton.gov.uk